Oh for the old days when a toaster or waffle iron was enough

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 04:45 pm
Apparently some people who get married are in it for the money or maybe the gifts.

Over in jolly old England (is it really jolly?), a pair of newlyweds was unhappy with the gift they received which was said to be a check for 100£ (approximately 145.00 U.S. dollars). In the words of Oliver Twist, they wanted more.

www.newsweek.com/newlyweds-tell-wedding-guest-ps100-gift-not-good-enough-458555

Next time just get them a booklet of 2 for 1 coupons at Burger King or Arthur Treacher's.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Do nothing sounds like a good idea. Let her stew in immaturity and rudeness.

By the way, I was thinking of getting myself a waffle iron recently, and decided instead to just make Dutch Babies with maple syrup any time I felt like a sweet breakfast:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/239993/chef-johns-dutch-babies/
Debra Law

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 08:12 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Apparently some people who get married are in it for the money or maybe the gifts.

Over in jolly old England (is it really jolly?), a pair of newlyweds was unhappy with the gift they received which was said to be a check for 100£ (approximately 145.00 U.S. dollars). In the words of Oliver Twist, they wanted more.

www.newsweek.com/newlyweds-tell-wedding-guest-ps100-gift-not-good-enough-458555

Next time just get them a booklet of 2 for 1 coupons at Burger King or Arthur Treacher's.

I read the whole story at the link you provided, and the newlyweds certainly displayed both ingratitude and audacity.

I think it is trending now where engaged couples are asking for money instead of other gifts. My hubby's nephew and his fiancée asked for money to pay for their dream honeymoon. I suggested to my hubby that we send them the money we would have paid for air fare, rental car, and hotel accommodations to attend the wedding and then just skip going. He still wants to go and I'm sure he will be generous. As I would be to my own beloved nieces and nephews. But, I wouldn't be equally generous to a former co-worker.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 08:56 pm
Just another example of entitlement some people have.
(Not to mention just being spoiled and greedy)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:47 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

I suggested to my hubby that we send them the money we would have paid for air fare, rental car, and hotel accommodations to attend the wedding and then just skip going. He still wants to go and I'm sure he will be generous. As I would be to my own beloved nieces and nephews. But, I wouldn't be equally generous to a former co-worker.

We did just that this past weekend.
Well, it was someone local, but neither one of us really wanted to go. We like the groom a lot, but honestly aren't all that into being social around strangers.

The couple was using this website called Zola where you can buy whatever gifts the couple has registered for and just have it mailed to them. In their case they already had an option to contribute to their airfare.

I added onto what we would have given to them as a gift the amount I was saving by not having to go out and buy a dress and shoes (I don't work anymore and only wear casual clothes).

As far as I'm concerned, it worked out well for everyone. They got more money for their honeymoon, and we didn't have to shop or stress over going to an event we weren't into.

Re the entitled bride, depending on the mood I was in, I might have attempted to cancel the original gift check. Not out of spite, but because of a lack of gratitude.
Debra Law

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 10:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

I suggested to my hubby that we send them the money we would have paid for air fare, rental car, and hotel accommodations to attend the wedding and then just skip going. He still wants to go and I'm sure he will be generous. As I would be to my own beloved nieces and nephews. But, I wouldn't be equally generous to a former co-worker.

We did just that this past weekend.
Well, it was someone local, but neither one of us really wanted to go. We like the groom a lot, but honestly aren't all that into being social around strangers.

The couple was using this website called Zola where you can buy whatever gifts the couple has registered for and just have it mailed to them. In their case they already had an option to contribute to their airfare.

I added onto what we would have given to them as a gift the amount I was saving by not having to go out and buy a dress and shoes (I don't work anymore and only wear casual clothes).

As far as I'm concerned, it worked out well for everyone. They got more money for their honeymoon, and we didn't have to shop or stress over going to an event we weren't into.

Re the entitled bride, depending on the mood I was in, I might have attempted to cancel the original gift check. Not out of spite, but because of a lack of gratitude.

My hubby is very social. But, I'm not a social butterfly. So he often goes to events alone. He doesn't complain though.

Odds are the check was already cashed. I think I would just cut off all ties with the ungrateful bride. She's clearly not a friend.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 03:58 pm
Since many weddings are "destination weddings," the couple might tell all guests that any gift should just be a donation to a specific charity. In other words, money is just that filthy lucre that has no place amongst the genteel. Sort of like royalty not carrying a wallet.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Yum
0 Replies