Where can I borrow money for a foreign property?

Duck1

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
I currently am buying a vacation house in Belize. It is 2/3 paid off. My loan is through the owner. However I'm paying 9% interest. I cannot find any place that will even consider loaning on foreign properties. Any suggestions?
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 5
No top replies

pjnbarb

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
Refinance
Since you say that you are buying a vacation home, I assume you own your residence. Couldn't you refinance that?
0 Replies

Duck1

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
Thanks for the response. No I don't totally own my house. We almost had it paid off. So we refinanced for the down on the Belize house. Probably not a reals smart thing to do. But it has worked out.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:12 am
The best way to do it is with a bank in the country where you own the property. That way, if the countrys currency depreciates(which it will against the us dollar) then you will end up paying less. I have done this in Brazil and it is great. Let me know how you go. It is a very interesting topic.
0 Replies

Duck1

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
Thanks for the thought. In Belize they tie their currency to the US Dollar. 1 US dollar equals 2 Belize dollars, all the time. no change. Interest rates at Belize banks run 12 plus percent. Not such a good deal. Thanks for responding. I can see how that would work in other countries however. Thanks again
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
Is it a nice house? you get great value in south and central american countries.
0 Replies