Mystery delivery from the UK

chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:05 pm
Back in February, my step dtr had recommended a website out of Oz to order Advantage Flea Drops for cats. I did so and got them at a good price. Should be end of story.

Last week, I received a package and when I looked inside, there where 4 boxes of 4 vials each of Advantage, which of course I had not ordered. I finally got around to looking more closely and see that the return address is at 5 Mitchell St in Edinburgh, UK.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I just googled that address and see reports of a scammy vet supply company there. The envelope has the address, but not the company name, and there's a Royal Mail customs declaration sticker on it, and it's been ink stamped back in March of this year. So counting back 2ish months ago. I placed my order to Oz on 2/29/16

I've carefully checked my paypay and credit card, and see no charges that are unusual.

I'm going to email the company in Oz and ask them if their associated or something.

I've looked online to see if the company in Oz and the company in Scotland are in any way associated. Can't see anything.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 443 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Seizan

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 07:32 pm
@chai2,
Hi.

First off, I wouldn't use those drops, since you're not sure they are authentic Advantage flea treatment, regardless of how well they are sealed or professionally packaged they look.

Ask your vet to check the packaging and origin, etc. to see if they are really authentic or something that might make your cat/s ill. Sadly, this happens at times...

Next, if they do prove to be authentic, see them as a free gift. You didn't order them, but they were sent unsolicited. So, free...

Finally, I used Front Line flea drops in past years, switched to Advantage this year (different species of flea this year, I think), and finally settled on a much cheaper and equally effective Blue Bottle flea treatment, available through Amazon.com. Front Line and Advantage are rather expensive when you have as many cats as we have (about 30 rescued cats) and Blue Bottle was as effective and much more cost-effective (about $50 for more than 70 1-month treatments).

Just type "Blue Bottle Flea Treatment" in the Amazon search engine.
chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:03 pm
@Seizan,
Yeah that's not my worry re the drops. They could go in the trash for all I care.

I want to know if my credit card or pay pay info is out there.

I'm not looking at something as a free gift from a company I never heard of and did not order from.
I guess you missed that part. Rolling Eyes

How did they know who I was to send me anything?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:32 pm
looks like a variant of a flag of convenience

https://www.smallfirmsservices.com/services/edinburgh-registered-office.aspx

the Oz company may need to maintain an address in the UK to sell things there -and it's easier to ship from the UK to the US than from Australia

I would probably have the vet clinic check on the meds. I'm pretty suspicious of pet stuff that I can't prove wasn't produced in Canada, the US or a couple of European countries. Too much scammy stuff leading to pet deaths (45 filing cabinet drawers at my last employer related to a law suit on one case from the past decade).
chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

looks like a variant of a flag of convenience

https://www.smallfirmsservices.com/services/edinburgh-registered-office.aspx

the Oz company may need to maintain an address in the UK to sell things there -and it's easier to ship from the UK to the US than from Australia

Here's the problem though, I already GOT my delivery directly from Oz back in March. I bought it on 2/29 and it arrived maybe 3 weeks later. Step daughter told me it they took a while since coming from another country.

Why am I now getting Another shipment from a Different Company in an envelope that gives an address in a totally different part of the world?

Plus the only way I found the company name (which is not the company I ordered from), was by searching the internet.

Again, I couldn't care less about the product. That is 100% Not the issue.

If it is the Oz company going under another name in Scotland, and they simply duplicated my order by accident that's one thing.

If some unknown entity as gotten hold my my address to send me unsolicited product, they could have my credit card or pay pal info too.

Red flags in particular since the second envelope had no company name on it, just the address. Also, my name address was hand written.

I don't have the packaging for the first correct delivery, but I would have remember being sent something with a hand written address.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:02 pm
Thanks though ehBeth.

I do see a toll free number on that page you linked.

However, it's 4:03 am in Scotland right now.

Even the sheep are still sleeping.

I will call them later.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mystery delivery from the UK
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:33:23