6

The problem with the Black Lives Matters movement...

-1  
Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 05:37 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You should have used flashing pink uppercase letters for additional emphasis...

You BLM types sure picked a real winner to be your standard bearer this time. Laughing

Below viewing threshold (view)
vikorr

2  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The problem with much of the Black Lives Matters movement actions (not the concept itself, the execution) is that most of the time the participants don't articulate any solutions and just yell at the people who they need to work with. I'm glad Obama is helping point out to them that just yelling about what they are against doesn't help anything. To enact change you can't just be against something you must also be for something.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
It started out as a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission was to build local power and to intervene when violence was inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
Police of course, are an arm of the State. I would have thought that calling for an end to State violence against people based on their colour, was being for something. Do they need to go further than that? Is that in itself, not a worthwhile goal?

I agree that being against something without a solution is poor, and doesn't 'offer a way out'...but is that really what the heart of the movement is doing? I doubt it. The way out is for the State to stop enacting needless violence against black people. Ie. They are offering a solution.

I used 'the heart of the movement' because of course, there will be many other agendas that tack themselves on to any such protests.

Lash

1  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:48 pm
I’m excited. I believe real change is coming because enough people are done with the insulting murderous status quo.

Incrementalism is over.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
vikorr

3  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 05:38 pm
@oralloy,
Demanding that police officers be prevented from defending themselves when they are murdered by a black person is not even remotely a worthwhile goal.
Are you reading only what you want to read? I did say:

- "State violence against people based on their colour"; and

- "The way out is for the State to stop enacting needless violence against black people."

Neither says that police officers can't defend themselves, from anyone. To have read and comprehended so poorly suggests ulterior motives when reading.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

1  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 05:51 pm
@oralloy,
That’s a start. I’ll have you converted in no time.
vikorr

3  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 05:54 pm
@oralloy,
Referring to justified self defense as "needless" before you try to abolish it does not change the fact that you are trying to abolish justified self defense.
So seeing only what you want to see...

...as I've defended police officers right to self defense before. The media often enough presents a 'sensationalist' version of what happens, leaving out important information (which then gives an incorrect understanding of surrounding events), so that peoples emotions are stirred. This stirring of emotions keeps people tuning in to what they consider to be 'news'.

You see the word needless and assign what you fear 'needless' to mean, while I mean 'needless' to mean needless, no necessity, pointless etc. You can choose to stop letting your fears rule your comprehension.

-4  
Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:26 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
So seeing only what you want to see...
...as I've defended police officers right to self defense before.

I'm not condemning you. I'm condemning Black Lives Matter.

vikorr wrote:
You see the word needless and assign what you fear 'needless' to mean, while I mean 'needless' to mean needless, no necessity, pointless etc.

I'm sure you define the term exactly as you say you do.

But that's not how Black Lives Matter defines the term.

vikorr wrote:
You can choose to stop letting your fears rule your comprehension.

I let reality rule my comprehension.

Below viewing threshold (view)