Music needs more heroin addicts

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
Col Man, I was really sick for nearly a year before that pic with the beef was taken. That was one of the first jobs I took on after I was well enough to work. Yeah, looks like crap, I know. Laughing
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
Laughing
im on my way now dude Exclamation
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
What, to do a makeover?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:57 pm
LOL

Taste the whip...something from Spinal Tap rings a bell.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:01 pm
I can definitely think of one example where drugs did not help. Shannon Hoon. Personally I thought that Blind Melon's first album(self titled) was just amazing. There was a period of maybe a year where I listened to the whole thing thru every day.. Sometimes a few times a day- but yeah im a little weird. I was trying to learn the music well enough to sing or play. Anyway, the point is I had never ever had something influence me so profoundly. Their next ablum, Soup, sucked.. God I tried and tried to listen to it, but I just couldnt hear anything but what sounded to me like drug induced sloppyness(besides the first track). It's been a while I might try listening again, I find music can grow on you Smile Oh, and if you haven't heard the whole ablum try! The main song they released off that album, No Rain- was not a good representitive of the whole.. Tones of Home did much better justice to that album as a release. That will have to do it though he died from drug related heart failure I believe.

On the other end of the spectum. Perry Ferrell. I read once that he's been addicted to heroin since he was 13? and still alive. One of the main reasons that Lollapaloosa existed and did well in my opinion. The guy is just anomaly if it's all true. And yeah I do think he's completely insane from his interviews but it doesnt seem to matter at all ha ha. I think they influenced quiet a bit of the music I hear now.

Can't argue with Alice in Chains or STP. I had a good friend when I was back in high school go see Alice in Chains on thier Facelift tour. He said they came out on stage, took what looked to be huge chunks of blottersheet acid and dosed at the beginning of the set. He claimed it was one of the best shows he ever saw. Later after the show someone he knew got a picture of Lane Stanley shooting up in the back of the club. Specifialy their album Dirt has entire songs inspired by drugs, to me was good music sober or not. His end days were not so glorious though, my heart truly went out to him and his family.

One thing is for certian, whether or not it actualy opens channels or creativity it definitely shortens life span. Hard to say what it would be like if the artist never discovered it.

Quote:
You could put them in a room with two tons of crack. They come out a half an hour later, "Rock on man!"
Quote:

That is so freggin hilarious, and really you could say that about SO many of the hair bands from the 80's in my opinion ha ha ha. Just great.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:11 pm
Playing high in a band certainly was enthralling until the night I heard a tape of a live show we'd done in Atlanta that was recorded by a radio station. I remember being so high on coke that I was literally blanking out for long periods. The tape was a wake up call. As far as I know I haven't played with anyone high since about ten years ago...oh, except with a fiddle player from Brooks & Dunn who was a devil on the violin.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:18 pm
Panzade, that's because you were on Coke. Heroin! That's the ticket!

Hamal, I have that first Blind Melon CD, and I also liked a lot of the other songs on it. I loved "No Rain", but I thought there was definitely more to them than that one song showed. Good stuff.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:19 pm
OK big boy...truth or dare...you ever done heroin?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:45 pm
Nobody's even mentioned Coltrane. Course, it wrecked his life.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:46 pm
It's funny "No rain" was the only song on that album that took me a while to like. The rest of it was so in tune with me I still wonder what it means, I do tend to think many of the lyrics on that album are pretty depressing.

I guess I wish these guys who have died could have found their vice with pot or something less harsh on the mind and system.

It's funny Panzade, you reminded me of the reason I stopped playing intoxicated heh. I have played guitar for 7 years or so. Only been in one band though it did last for almost two years and we played out almost every weekend around town. In the beginning I would drink before the shows and I used to smoke quite a bit of pot. We had the local newspaper give us a little attention one week and had a really good turnout at the show. I was so nervous I drank a bit too much and not that I did anything extremly embarassing - just sucked and I was so sloppy. I kept loosing my place playing the worng stuff. Oye' I look back and cringe- for what could have been. From that day on I always play sober live. It's amazing what can go wrong on stage in the middle of a set. Good to have your wits about.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
Good one Patio, though he didn't die of an overdose...I think....really doesn't matter.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
panzade wrote:
OK big boy...truth or dare...you ever done heroin?

Of course not! And that is why you've never heard me on the radio. My music blows. And it's all because I never took Heroin.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
So if media, so to speak, is the opiate of the masses, and heroin is the opiate of the great artists (I noticed that Miles and Bille weren't mentioned, I think) what does that say about society in general?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
panzade wrote:
Good one Patio, though he didn't die of an overdose...I think....really doesn't matter.

wrecked it, didn't end it. But there may not have been Africa Brass without it...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
Why's that?, Dog
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:04 pm
I asked myself the same question, then I went Googled really quickly. I thought he'd kicked for a while in the late 50s (when Miles fired him) and then fallen off the wagon later in his career, but it looks like I'm wrong about that. So ne'mind.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:06 pm
Well, I was sure his wife Alice helped him kick for good and he died of a non related malady...what I understood.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:11 pm
Yeah, liver cancer. I had a dim memory of hearing that his "later" years had been marred by drug use and fighting with family, but it looks like that's just another bit of bad information in an addled brain.

I am not to be trusted.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
Don't forget, you're a man's best friend.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
arf
0 Replies