Should I make a fuss about small typos I found in a reference book?

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 08:56 am
I'm currently taking up a bachelor's degree in history at a distance-learning college. Since history is not a popular degree in that school, they don't revise their history books/ modules regularly. In fact, most of the modules they gave me were published about twenty years ago and contain few typos and outdated information. Should I make a fuss about this, or should I just correct the errors myself?

By the way, in general, the old references are still informative and useful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 998 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tamara123454

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 04:34 pm
@Setanta,
What errors have you spotted in my writing?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:30 am
"Taking up a bachelor's degree" and "contain few typos" are immediately obvious. I also find the term "distance learning" ludicrous, but i do realize that it's a term in vogue now. One might pursue a bachelor's degree, or follow a program leading to a bachelor's degree--but taking up a degree? Did you find it on the ground? I'm sure that the publishers would be gratified to know that you found few typos, but it sounds as though you found few errors when you expected to find many--which i don't think is what you intend to convey.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:26 am
@tamara123454,
Seeing as how there are factual errors in the information, it would perhaps be helpful to them to know of these. Who knows, perhaps it would push them towards updating their materials and maybe even doing so more frequently.

Best of everything as you pursue your degree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:02 am
@Setanta,
I hope the OP finds your post helpful.

If s/he plans to make a fuss about the reference materials used in a course/program, it would be best if the fuss was made without error/s.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:50 am
"Taking up a degree" sounds like a southern expression.

The article "a" is needed before "few typos."

"Distance learning" is a common adjective to describe a way to obtain a degree.
0 Replies