Megapopstar Prince has been reported to have died today.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 05:05 pm
I liked him but wasn't a follower of almost anyone on routine radio past the early/late eighties, too busy, and then I got introduced to opera, a form I'd always hated. Anyway, I still paid attention but less and less to the radio, after I couldn't tune into the olden LA stations.

Still, I am very sorry he died. When I listened or watched, he made me happy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 05:12 pm
I've had the great fortune of seeing him in a live concert - just superb and he was a true performer, giving his all to his fans at the concert. Next to David Bowie, he leaves a tremendous void in us - the generation who grew up with him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 06:52 pm
@Lash,
He was incredibly sexual.

It was his song "Little Nikki" that led Tipper Gore to go on a crusade to label music as being for "mature audiences".
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 07:04 pm
@boomerang,
LOL!!! I'd forgotten all about Tipper's labeling project! It was rather a big deal for a while.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 07:35 pm
a local drive-time show did a call-in tonight asking people to call with their memories of Prince

the best was a woman who'd been out walking her dog downtown when she ran into a tiny man with two big bodyguards - there was dog talk and they parted - she said where are you going ? he answered Canadian Tire. Prince was going to the hardware store Smile

(it was during the period he was married to a local woman and lived in Toronto)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 09:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.mojvideo.com/video-prince-when-doves-cry/63806cee6342494500af
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:30 pm
@Real Music,
Thanks for that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 09:57 am
PRINCE
TREATED FOR DRUG OVERDOSE DAYS BEFORE DEATH

Been seeing this story make the rounds.
engineer

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 11:00 am
@edgarblythe,
He was treated for "flu like symptoms" when his plane made an emergency landing a few days ago. Given that he had an apparently sincere religious conversion to Jehovah's Witness some years ago and they are anti any sort of drugs, I'd take overdose talk with a grain of salt until the autopsy is complete.
chai2

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 11:58 am
@engineer,
To clarify, when you say "any sort of drugs" that does not include medication for illness.

They abstain from drunkenness, although a small amount of alcohol is permissable, and don't take any sort of drugs for the purpose of getting high.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 02:47 pm
Sigh.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-od-percocet-death/

And, oh, nuts, I remember Percocet. I first heard of it in 1960 when I was an after school helper in an internist's office. A female patient dogged him relentlessly to give her a prescription for Percoset. He didn't. So incredibly addictive.

Me, I didn't even take my oxycontin the afternoon/night after surgery. Not that I'm saintly, but I didn't really need it badly and was aware of it's addictive aspect.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 06:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dave+chappelle+prince+full+skit&&view=detail&mid=4CCE9A1B0FC03A58E3C04CCE9A1B0FC03A58E3C0&FORM=VRDGAR

Real Music

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 07:28 pm
@Real Music,
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dave+chappelle+rick+james+full+skit&&view=detail&mid=E6CD181840D5F7321324E6CD181840D5F7321324&FORM=VRDGAR
Remember Rick James

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dave+chappelle+wayne+brady+skit&&view=detail&mid=025CE10CFA8FEDABA513025CE10CFA8FEDABA513&FORM=VRDGAR
Funny Wayne Brady skit
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 03:45 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
He was treated for "flu like symptoms" when his plane made an emergency landing a few days ago.

I've read several reports that this emergency landing was for a "save shot" due to an overdose, and not for flu (an emergency landing for flu-symptoms sounds odd).

Quote:
I'd take overdose talk with a grain of salt until the autopsy is complete.

I agree and while the autopsy is complete the toxicology reports aren't. But someone claiming to be his ex-drug dealer is painting a detailed picture of his addiction to the media. Lots of religious people whose religions are against drugs still do drugs so if I had to bet I think that there is fire below the smoke coming out.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:35 am

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/13103559_1028119203941464_2782027316968930964_n.jpg?oh=72d2862771b99845288cb456e4790840&oe=57BFB86A
Ragman

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:48 am
@Region Philbis,
OK that's brilliant! Very timely as well as funny, especially with new talk about the proposed changes in the $20 bill.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

engineer wrote:
He was treated for "flu like symptoms" when his plane made an emergency landing a few days ago.

I've read several reports that this emergency landing was for a "save shot" due to an overdose, and not for flu (an emergency landing for flu-symptoms sounds odd).

Quote:
I'd take overdose talk with a grain of salt until the autopsy is complete.

I agree and while the autopsy is complete the toxicology reports aren't. But someone claiming to be his ex-drug dealer is painting a detailed picture of his addiction to the media. Lots of religious people whose religions are against drugs still do drugs so if I had to bet I think that there is fire below the smoke coming out.

Something important to keep in mind.

When someone says "overdose" it is not necessary the media filled frenzy it's made out to be.

Nor does it mean someone was taking these drugs for pleasure.

Overdose does not mean the person was on the brink of death. Yes, it does mean the person took a dangerous amount of something. But it doesn't necessary mean they were in danger of dying, being in a coma, or anything like that.

Not to make too fine a point of it, but every time a person drinks too much wine while watching TV at home, and passes out, they have overdosed. Anyone who has done that would surely take umbrage at being told they overdosed, or are an addict.

Pain management is an extremely tricky thing. In fact, sometimes more than the recomended dose in a particular situation is needed to break a pain cycle, when the constant pain proves too much.

I'm saying this just to be fair to the man. No one should jump to conclusions that because he may have been on a high dosage of opiates, it was not necessary.
It's not a black and white thing. Just like most things in life, it is a continuum.

As far as this drug dealer story, that's just pathetic..

Did he overdose on the plane? Who knows (yet). Keep in mind flu is very painful. If you've had it, you know. Combined with his chronic hip problems and I don't know what else, did he take too much pain killers? We don't have that answer.

I liked Prince, however I wasn't a dedicated fan.

I'm trying trying to be fair.
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:53 am
@Region Philbis,
That's clever. I like that. Good humor
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:16 am
Re: Possible drug overdose.
Some perspective from one who experiences daily pain.
The temptation to take additional opiates when pain continues is hard to resist while reason is fogged. I believe his pain to have been considerably more pervasive than mine, so accidental overdose is certainly possible and surely forgivable.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:17 am
@chai2,
I definitely don't know more than what has been reported and all, but what is reported is that he had a serious addiction and was spending 40,000 dollars at a time to his illegal dealer for those meds. That dealer story could definitely be false, but it was not a prescription thing, the dealer claimed Prince was using them for crippling stage fright.