folk duet from the sixties Nina and Fredrick

jmf1947

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:53 am
I'm having flashbacks to the sixties and i can vaguely remember this duet .i cant remember any particular songs but i am sure they were in the folkie style.anyone remember them or any of their songs? Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,486 • Replies: 25
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:41 am
Album cover: Nina & Frederick. Columbia (England), ca. 1958.

Frederick, a native of the Netherlands, studied at the Imperial College of Tropical Agriculture in Trinidad, where he developed an interest in calypso. He returned to Europe in 1957 and began singing calypsos and other Caribbean songs with Nina, who was from Denmark. The couple became popular throughout the Continent and in England.

http://www.calypsoworld.org/world/rf165.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:46 am
I remember the name but not their songs. The Little Donkey seems to have been popular one Christmas.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:51 am
Here's a strange sidelight. I found a tribute duet working out of Coventry U.K.

Triangle's Nina and Frederick have built up a cult following as Coventry's most eccentric artists. Nina and Frederick are resident artists at the Herbert Art Gallery, Coventry and tour with their tribute to Baron and Baroness Nina and Frederick (charming 60s singers) Listen to the Ocean is available for groups aged 55+. Nina and Frederick also create wierd "happenings" for all types of people and places.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:03 am
Definately some other folks:
Baron Frederik van Pallandt (the 'Frederick', who married 'Nina', aka "Nina & Frederick lived from 1934 until 1994.

(They divorced because Frederick wanted to stop singing.
Nina made a few movies, Frederick got married again to a woman in The Philipins and was murdered in 1994.)

Source
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:58 am
The things YOU find on Google Walter...amazing
0 Replies

jmf1947

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
thank you very much panzade and Walter i had done a couple of basic searches on different sites looking for their songs but came up with nothing ....i was starting to think the magic mushrooms were starting to kick in after all those years
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:13 pm
They are JMF, they are.
0 Replies

jmf1947

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:30 pm
if they are only starting to kick in now panzade, i can start looking foward to a few years of mind blowing awareness and some great colour shows while i'm smelling the flowers .i may be getting older but i still have good memories of the sixties and all that included.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:33 pm
So do I, but I'm puzzled. I'm guessing you graduted in '66. That class was way way straighter than my class of '70. You must have been the original hippy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:54 pm
Funny, but I even tried some Belgian and Dansih sites - obviously no-one thinks it's worth putting some Nina and Frederick lyrics in the WWW.

Funny, too, that I never liked this duo when they were very, vrey pouplar here in Europe - but now ... ... :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:55 pm
That's called maturity Walter :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:31 pm
panzade wrote:
That's called maturity Walter :wink:

Oh Embarrassed - that's the name of the period just before senility, isn't it :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:32 pm
I don't remember...
0 Replies

jmf1947

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:45 am
maybe i was the original hippie i don't know,maybe Australia was a little behind the world then,but i still remember the 60's &70's as good times,the music was good, the people were generally happy and contented and the world a nicer place. although we had Vietnam, a war i protested against and then fought in, [obviously not overly strong in my moral convictions ]i have read your profile and it seems you have led a very full and satisfying life. as with you my life seems to drag me back to the sea, its a place i can relax and reflect on past happier times
0 Replies

jmf1947

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:52 am
walter and panzade thank you for your comments, i apoligise if my replies are a little slow but i only use the computer when i become bored with the real world Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:26 am
No problem. A wonderful post from The Antipodes.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:53 am
Nina and Frederick; I'm the right age to remember them.. They were very popular in Britain.
They did a nice number on "Baby It's Cold Outside" as well as all the calypsos.
"Listen to the Ocean". "Yellow Bird"
Apart from those already mentioned, I can't think of any more right now. "Little Donkey" was a big Xmas hit of course.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:34 pm
Thanks McTag I think they were bigger in Europe than the States
0 Replies

jmf1947

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:48 pm
i realize i'm asking a lot but would any one know if they ever toured australia.obviously they weren't overly popular ,so for the life of me i just cant work out why i remember them