Anyone have an opinion on the Theranos case? I'm biased

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:24 pm
but open to arguments, as my present knowledge of the field is scant ~

Here's the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/13/regulators-propose-a-two-year-ban-for-theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes/

My bias is from reading about the wonderfulness of her ideas and thinking she was full of it, this all probably a few years ago. Her ideas may be right, or at least have a place in medicine, but her knocks on old fashioned regular blood testing annoyed me, who was a licensed lab technologist for something like 25/30 years, keeping my license up after leaving the field in case I wanted to go back, a question that got sillier with time; 15 years in actual practice, most of that in immunology research (yes, fulfilled requirements re keeping up).

I'm interested in the wisdom/usefulness of her ideas and the current ban and what it is about.

Natch, I could google on it, and probably will, but I'd rather talk here if someone already has info and opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,644 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

snood

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 02:23 pm
Wow didn’t know the only thread in this was almost 7 years old.
But anyway, there’s some news about this case.
Holmes has been convicted of defrauding people for millions of dollars and sentenced to serve eleven years in prison.

I don’t know how many watched the excellent tv series about this Theranos scam called “The Dropout”, but it was very closely based on the real events of this doe-eyed scammers life.

True to form for American justice, the trial, conviction and sentencing has been dragged out over a very long time. They are staying consistent - they allowed her to delay reporting to begin her prison term until April of 2023!

The reason for the delay? Well dear sweet Elizabeth got engaged, married and pregnant during these years of delays And the courts say she just needs some time to adjust to being a new mommy. Convicted in January ‘22. Sentenced eleven months later, in November. Won’t start serving her sentence until April.

Unless she gets an appeal and they have to start delaying everything again.

Oh well, maybe she’ll actually end up serving a few of those 11.4 years.
tsarstepan

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 02:26 pm
@snood,
Snood! Ya B@stard! Neutral Razz

You made me wishfully think that Osso had returned to a2k.
snood

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oops, sorry. Did Osso bid A2K farewell?
thack45

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:07 pm
@snood,
On to to pile of disillusionment it goes!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:33 pm
@snood,
She hasn't been around since 2016. I'm wondering if any a2k veterans have heard from her (outside of the forum) lately.
tsarstepan

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Had to scrounge around to find the last mention of Ossobuco.
edgarblythe wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Osso got a brand new computer but refused to take it out of the package. Then she let Diane Freeman know she was not going to use it at all.

I just learned that osso is doing well but just won't use a computer anymore.

Source: Dated 1/30/2022
bobsal u1553115

Fri 2 Dec, 2022 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
You had my hopes up for a minute.

Another a2ker who left because of the trolls that don't seem to be affected by the invisible hand.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anyone have an opinion on the Theranos case? I'm biased
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:12:29