The Panama Papers: Probably the Biggest Leak of All Time

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 12:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
yup. more than a handful of Canadians has gone to jail for their money-laundering activities in Panama. mostly drug/mob types from Quebec.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
BTW, has the Amaya Inc. (parent company of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker) scandal made much news in Canada? I own a very small amount of stock in them and it has tanked since the CEO allegations came out but there hasn't been much other news.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 12:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There's been a reasonable amount of ongoing coverage on CBC radio business panels - especially when they have panellists from Quebec. Quebec is pretty assertive on investigating and prosecuting insider trading/securities market rule infringements.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
In Spain, Justice Minister Rafael Catala announced that tax authorities will examine if tax laws have been violated.
In Austria, two banks are searched for details (Raiffeisen Bank International and Vorarlberg Landes- und Hypothekenbank)
In Norway, the DNB (bank) has been asked to give written evidence.
In Sweden, Nordea Bank AB has been interrogated.
The US Justice Department is reviewing documents published as part of the Panama Papers leaks to see if they constitute evidence of corruption that could be prosecuted, according to several reports.
... ... ...
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you have any citation for the US one? I speculated as much but haven't seen that.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
take a look at http://www.theguardian.com/us/business

it's in the live feed

they've copied Paula Reid on Twitter who copied part of a DOJ statement

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/717047474007973888/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, been working and not following news. The US statement seems not to support my speculation, that this was already in the US hands prior to this release. They seem to merely be confirming that they know about it and are looking into it now, but I had thought they knew about it before this week.
parados

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 02:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
According to BBC, China is blocking discussion of this on their social media. Russia has been laying groundwork for the last week saying the west was going to be attacking Russian leaders.
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:06 pm
@parados,
Is Panama the west?

I must say, I generally hate to gloat, but this is just soooooooooo good!

I so hope Gina Rinehart and a lot of note ables from Oz are in there.
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:11 pm
Yes, Panama is in the west. It's the southern-most country in North America. In the words of Senator Hiakawa of California, "we stole it, fair and square, we should keep it." He was referring to an incident in which the Panamanians, then in a province of Columbia, rebelled yet again. But President Theodore Roosevelt want to build an isthmian canal, so he sent a cruiser and some Marines there to help them break away, after which, surprise, surprise, the Panamanians gave the U.S. a sweetheart contract to build the canal.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:18 pm
@dlowan,
The west, as in US and Europe, will be using this info to claim Russia leaders are ripping off the citizens to the tune of billions. It sounds like Russia was trying to get out in front and claim it is really only anti-Russian propaganda.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 05:04 pm
@dlowan,
The CBC world news just reported that Australian officials have begun na investigation to determine if any Australian politicians or officials have been involved.
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 05:10 pm
Panama Papers: ATO investigating more than 800 Australian clients of Mossack Fonseca
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 09:58 am
http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0405/779521-panama-north-korea/

Quote:
Icelandic PM resigns over Panama Papers - party

Quote:
Iceland's prime minister has resigned in the wake of the Panama Papers scandal, according to his party.

Sigmundur Gunnlaugsson had earlier asked the president for permission to dissolve parliament. President Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, who cut short a visit to the US to deal with the crisis, told a televised press conference he wanted to consult the government's junior coalition member before making a decision.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 09:59 am
from the same link

Quote:
Panama files reveal links to North Korean firms

Documents from the Panamanian legal firm at the centre of the data leak show that it had clients from North Korea who were blacklisted by US Treasury sanctions.

Clients of the company Mossack Fonseca included companies linked to North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

The leaked documents show that Mossack Fonseca set up a company in 2006 called DCB Finance based in North Korea's capital Pyongyang but did not take notice of this for four years until late 2010 when it stopped doing business with the firm.

It was later sanctioned by the US Treasury for raising funds for the North Korean regime and being linked to a bank helping to fund the regime's nuclear weapons programme.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 11:39 pm
400 reporters kept the Panama Papers secret for a year Here's how they pulled it off.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 11:53 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The CBC world news just reported that Australian officials have begun na investigation to determine if any Australian politicians or officials have been involved.

There are 800 Australians involved so I am guessing there will be. I'm more looking for the Murdochs, BHP, Rinehart and other billionaire company owners who pay no ******* tax on their huge profits.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:35 am
http://i66.tinypic.com/faonkj.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brilliant!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 02:46 am
Screened on Monday night here. The first of many similar exposees, I think.

BBC Panorama "Tax Havens"........

0 Replies