How many books have you read?

Sturgis

Mon 18 Apr, 2016 03:47 pm
No idea how many books I've read. Thousands would probably sum it up best.

In the early years there were regular trips to the library, starting at whatever age I got that first library card.

There was also the weekly trip to the school library. The visits there included lessons from the librarian. We learned the Dewey decimal system and the purpose, reason and usage of the card catalog.

Then one day I was summoned away from the library to the Principal's office. I sat across the desk from him and had to read a few paragraphs from a book which I'd taken out at an earlier time.

Apparently, the idea of a 3rd grader taking out a book listed for 6th graders was not the norm. Once he knew I could read and understand the text, he sent me on my way.

I stopped reading full books after that for about 3 years. I went so far as making up books in order to write a book report. Other times I would read the dust jacket and 4 or 5 pages in the book and write a report based on that. It was sufficient to get (not necessarily earn ) passing grades.

Returned to reading when in junior high and have continued since, occasionally stopping for several months at a time.
ossobuco

Mon 18 Apr, 2016 04:21 pm
@Sturgis,
Nods.

In my house I have hundreds, not a good thing and I have plans to give to places, university or garden people.

I do wish whatever the italian community is about here in New Mexico, would contact me.

I have early books, gleaned from used book stores, but real.

I would give my stuff to the UNM italian department, but they don't have one.

ossobuco

Mon 18 Apr, 2016 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Any other italian department in a university interested?

Oh, never mind. I can sell stuff. I was demented to think someone might like the swath of it. Maybe I can still work it alla amazon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 18 Apr, 2016 05:12 pm
@Sturgis,
That reminded me of my childhood when I used to go to the public library almost regularly. However, I don't remember ever checking out any books.
Today, we have more CD's than books, because my wife has a collection of Korean tv shows. It fills up one bookcase about four feet tall in the extra bedroom.
Our son who lives in Austin has one bedroom full of books. He's always been an avid reader.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Thu 14 Jul, 2016 04:04 pm
Asimov's Foundation series. Some of Arthur Clarke's works. The Time Machine. Birdsong. The Help. Nightfall.

I've also read a fair number of history books (years ago).
cicerone imposter

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 01:49 pm
@Thomas33,
Sad to see the inactivity the past several. years on this forum. Since then, I've met Bob Brodsky, rocket scientist and writer, and have read several of his books. They're mostly autobiographical, but interesting enough on the subject of his career as professor and scientist. He passed away recently, after we kept in touch for many years. I just ran across some emails he sent to me that I made hard copies. One was a Season's Greeting in December of 2014, and the other was a "happy birthday" wish from him and his wife. https://www.claremont-courier.com/articles/obituaries/t19823-brodsky-obit
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 19 Jul, 2019 06:36 am
I can recall when I would always have a paperback book in a pocket but now with a nook e-reader I can carry way over a thousand books with me for the space one paperback book took up.

Love technology.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 30 Jul, 2019 11:04 am
At this point, I have hundreds of books, even more if we count comic books.

Last year, I have read 68 books, with the longest I have read that year was Swan Song by Robert McCammon

This year, so far, I have read 36 books.
beantownmike

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can't even give you a ballpark estimate.
At very least a thousand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 4 Sep, 2019 01:36 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's how I got my sons to enjoy reading, by letting them buy comic books when they were young. I'd take them to a bookstore and tell them they can buy anything they wanted - including comic books. It reflected in how they performed in school. Out older son graduated summa cum laude, and our younger son magna cum laude. Our older son now works at the University of Texas, Austin, reference library. I'm sure, he couldn't be happier. My personal reading habits are not too good. I have several books on my nightstand that I peek at once in awhile. I'm more apt to listen to music on my MP3 or watch some tv before I hit the sack.
BillRM

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's how I got my sons to enjoy reading, by letting them buy comic books when they were young. I'd take them to a bookstore and tell them they can buy anything they wanted - including comic books. It reflected in how they performed in school. Out older son graduated summa cum laude, and our younger son magna cum laude. Our older son now works at the University of Texas, Austin, reference library. I'm sure, he couldn't be happier. My personal reading habits are not too good. I have several books on my nightstand that I peek at once in awhile. I'm more apt to listen to music on my MP3 or watch some tv before I hit the sack.

Lot of worthwhile audio books an podcasts free for the taking available for listening to before falling asleep if you do not care to read at such times.
cicerone imposter

Fri 6 Sep, 2019 10:44 pm
@BillRM,
I like to read books rather than audio, because words on a book can transform you into the world in which they are describing. I found that to be true with James Mitchener's books. He used to be my favorite author until Ian Fleming came out with his James Bond series. I was hooked, and got other work associates hooked too~! LOL I have several books on my nightstand, but rarely peek at them any more. I'm now into "The Reykjavik Assignment," only because during all my travels, I did visit Reykjavik, and walked all around the city. The only disappointment was not expanding my tour to the whole country, because it's so beautiful; I missed it all!
0 Replies

mirandakariba86

Tue 24 Dec, 2019 04:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't read at all. Unfortunately I dont have time.
0 Replies

RendyB

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 01:49 pm
More than 500. I can't count it all.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi! I try to read a book every 4-8 weeks thoroghly especially history books. Right now I read a book about Chinas history. /TooFriendly112
BillRM

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 06:27 pm
@TooFriendly112,
The following quote come from a character in a book call the Glory Road by Robert Heinlein an sum up how I feel about reading.

Quote:
The fact is I am a compulsive reader. Thirty-five cents' worth of Gold Medal Original will put me right to sleep. Or Perry Mason. But I'll read the ads in an old Paris-Match that has been used to wrap herring before I'll do without.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 06:52 pm
I've probably read 50,000 books--although it may only be 49,990. Oh, and I never, ever lie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 08:01 pm
I used to read books constantly. Now my eyes are too weak to do much of it.
BillRM

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I used to read books constantly. Now my eyes are too weak to do much of it.

With most E-Readers you can adjust the text to be fairly large allowing people like us to go on reading.
0 Replies