LA MORTE D'ARTUR - does anybody know where to buy this book

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
HELLO,

I loved the film Excalibur and dated as it may seem by today's standards, John Boorman, the director, did such a fantastic job that it has succeeded in so intriguing me by the legend of Arthur that I want to read the book "La Morte d'Artur" by Sir Thomas Mallory, on which the film was based.

Looking to buy the book, I was Very suprised to see that Amazon didn't have it. I am wondering if anybody knows where I could get it?

Thanks!

Fiona
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,822 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Charli

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:26 pm
Maybe . . .
Maybe . . . Barnes and Noble associate dealers - URL below:[/color]

Barnes and Noble Associate Dealers
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
Another fascinating read would be T. H. White's Once and Future King (the title is taken from the epitaph which Mallory ascribes to Arthur--hic iacet Arturus, Rex quondam, Rexque futurus, "Here lies Arthur, Once and Future King). This is one of the most productive story cycles in European history. Mallory frequently refers to "the Frensshe Booke," and uses such expressions, "the Frensshe Booke sayeth"--the French having used the song/story cycle for centuries when Mallory wrote his Death of Arthur. John Steinbeck was writing his version of the Arthurian cycle at the time of his death--the unfinished work has been published, however. T. H. White's papers also included a manuscript which could have served as a sequel to The Once and Future King, which was published, i believe in 1977, as The Book of Merlin.
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:29 pm
If you could not find this on amazon, there is a good chance it's because you're misspelling the authors name and the title.

Sir Thomas Malory
Le Morte D'Arthur

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067960099X/qid=1092882184/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-3905113-9879109?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1844030016/qid=1092882184/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-3905113-9879109?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451528166/qid=1092882184/sr=12-1/104-3905113-9879109?v=glance&s=books
0 Replies

Christina2222

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 08:49 pm
No, there is not a good chance I am misspelling the name
It is Mallory and it is "Artur"
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:07 pm
Rolling Eyes

Eos is correct.

It is Malory and it is "Arthur".

She gave you the links and all.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:22 am
This title is available as an e-text at Project Gutenberg Site.

http://www.gutenberg.net/
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
I'd go with "The once and future king."

Both Morte D' Arthur and the once and future king are books about Arthur.

Arthur was a work of fiction, and you'll find the stories in the book to be completely different from the movie. I think you'll find that they still are worth reading, especially The once and future king (E.B. White) which is an easier (in our present-day language) read.

Should be at the local bookstore.

You didn't really believe the movie was historically accurate, did you? With Gwenevere fighting?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 05:28 pm
King Arthur the movie was supposed to be a realistic episode from what it was like then that could have spawned the Arthur stories. Except for the part about "Sarmatia", it was probably more historically accurate than the story, since the story was a Myth and is neccessarily INaccurate.... the whole knights in shining armor and courtly love deal actually came about because of the telling of French versions of the King Arthur stories, not the other way around. I think what they were trying to do in th movie was the steer away from the French/romance versions that everyone knows so well. I think they succeeded in that, at least....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:55 pm
Try this:

Quote:
Caxton's Mallory: A New Edition of Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte Darthur : Based on the Pierpont Morgan Copy of William Caxton's Edition of 1485
Jamesw. Spisak
William Matthews
0 Replies

Christina2222

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:08 pm
You dont have a clue what you are talking about
it is Mallory and it is artur - OK - now leave it out! (or learn to spell)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:59 pm
Lol! DON'T get the book then! People have all but given you a copy - including a free online version!

Sheesh.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:49 pm
Settle down. Take it up with the goddam publishers and Amazon........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:01 am
here's an odd thing.

I received a package from Amazon today - in ordinary Amazon US packaging - except it was inside a yellow sack thing - from GERMANY!!!!

I am wondering if the US mail sent the thing to Austria, and it was picked up when it hit Germany, re-packed, and sent to Oz????
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:11 pm
Sounds plausible . . .
Sounds like that is exactly what happened, dlowan . . . Australia was misread for Austria. Postal workers work very hard - I was one of them for a year of my life. However, the service has deteriorated in the past few years. As with most industries today, they have one goal: the bottom line - money. "Get it out, get out, get it out!" Mistakes and all. [/color] Smile Smile Smile Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 09:15 pm
Well then - my books have been where I have not!

But - I DO wonder why the sack?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:00 pm
I had a package from Lunnon, once, Dear Miss Wabbit, and it came in a sack. It had taken less than 48 hours to clear customs in Angle-land and arrive in New York . . . and nine days to travel a few hundred miles from New York.

Anyhoo, the outside of the package had gotten torn, so the Royal Mails bagged it up. Could this explain why your packaged got bagged?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:41 pm
OK OK - here's a goodie. Some scenery for "Ring of the Niebelung" was manufactured and then sent off to Beiruth, near Nuremberg, the correct place for such events. Didn't show up at Beiruth. Don't recall what they had to do to get the show on.

However, at the same time there were a lot of Lebanese postal workers in BEIRUT wondering what the hell to do with a giant blow-up dragon and Seigfried's cave!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 02:37 am
Lol!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Christina2222

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 04:23 pm
people have all but given me the book - haha - you obviously havent been paying attention mate
0 Replies