Use of comma

mrt1234

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:29 pm
Does this sentence require the use of a comma? "David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA but perhaps next year he could become more involved in other events happening in school."

I was thinking of putting it between 'year' and 'he.' Is a comma required?

"David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA but perhaps next year, he could become more involved in other events happening in school."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:39 pm
@mrt1234,
"David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA, but perhaps next year he could become more involved in other events happening in school."
mrt1234

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:43 pm
@Glennn,
How silly of me! Of course it is.

I'm having a bad day

Thanks Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:45 pm
@Glennn,
How about: "David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA, but perhaps next year, he could become more involved in other events happening in school."
oristarA

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:52 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

"David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA, but perhaps next year he could become more involved in other events happening in school."

I was used to put a comma this way for many years. But I've found many authors, whose native language is English, often put a period there:

"David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA. But perhaps next year he could become more involved in other events happening in school."

Now I've accepted the method which makes one long sentence into two short ones. Thus the meaning of the sentence would become clearer and easier to be understood.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 03:06 am
@mrt1234,
David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA, but perhaps next year he could become more involved in other events happening in school.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 06:23 am
@mrt1234,
mrt1234 wrote:

How silly of me! Of course it is.

I'm having a bad day

Thanks Smile

Then give the ribbon to the one whose answer is best in your eye.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
..., but perhaps next year,...
Okay Cis but the trend is to omit any commas not required to meaning
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 10:54 am
@mrt1234,
I don't felt the comma is in itself necessary in that spot.

That said, I feel the sentence would work better with a rewrite. Since there are two complete sentences, place a semi-colon after the word but. I'd also change could to will.

David has continued with sport and takes table tennis as an ECA; but, perhaps next year he will become more involved with other events happening at school.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:06 am
@Sturgis,
Comma between year and he?
Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
When I speak the sentence aloud, I sometimes feel the comma is needed; however, in some vocalizings, it seems an ink waster.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 01:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Comma between year and he?
Cis I'd say huh-uh
0 Replies