What are some good tips to approaching women at the gym?

maclamf

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 08:16 pm
approaching women at the gym?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 01:03 am
Best tip: don't be a nuisance to women at the gym. Leave them alone.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:10 am
@maclamf,
Well just don't wipe the water bottle of the girl --- (Seinfeld is a guide for everyday life)

Elaine talking with Greg (guy she has the hots for at the gym ) while he's on a Stairmaster at the health club.

GREG: I'm glad you're here. This can get really boring. Do you know where I can get some good olives?

ELAINE: I can find out.

GREG: Would ya?

ELAINE: Sure. <Thinks - Ooh, a project. That's a definite signal!>

GREG: By the way, you look really great in that leotard.

ELAINE: Oh, thanks. <Thinks - That's no signal, who wouldn't like me in this leotard? I look amazing in this leotard.>

GREG: Hey, you know what's weird? I think I had a dream about you last night.

ELAINE: <Thinks - Okay, he open-lips me, he dreams about me, we have an olive project...that's it, I'm asking this guy out.> Um, you know Greg, I...

GREG: Can I have a sip of your water?

ELAINE: Oh, yeah, sure. <Hands Greg her bottle.>

GREG: Thanks. <Is about to take a drink, but wipes the neck of the bottle with his shirt first.>

ELAINE (shocked expression): <Thinks - Oh my God.>

GREG (hands the bottle back): I'm sorry, what were you saying?

ELAINE: It was nothing, forget it.

Then later on to confirm ----

GEORGE: You said the guy gave you an open-lipped kiss!

ELAINE (enunciating clearly so George gets the point): Yes, but then he wiped his hand on the top of the bottle when I offered him water!

GEORGE: Well, that doesn't mean anything!

ELAINE: Are you kidding? That's very significant! If he was interested in me, he'd want my germs! He'd just crave my germs!

JERRY (patiently): She's right, George. Bottle-wipe is big.

GEORGE: Well, what about the open-lipped kiss?

JERRY: Bottle-wipe supercedes it.

Or you could not wipe down the machine after she is going to use it ---
New scene - Elaine and Greg at the health club. A sweaty Greg is exercising on a leg machine.>

ELAINE: Hi, Greg.

GREG: Hey, Elaine. I'll be off in a second. <Another guy approaches the exercise machine.>

ELAINE: I got the machine next, buddy. <Greg finishes up his workout and gets off the machine.>

GREG (to Elaine): It's all yours. <Walks away. Elaine looks at the machine, then George runs over.>

GEORGE: What happened? Did he bring it up?

ELAINE: Never mind that, look at the signal I just got.

GEORGE: Signal? What signal?

ELAINE: Lookit. He knew I was gonna use the machine next, he didn't wipe his sweat off. That's a gesture of intimacy.

GEORGE: I'll tell you what that is - that's a violation of club rules. Now I got him! And you're my witness!

ELAINE: Listen, George! Listen! He knew what he was doing, this was a signal.

GEORGE: A guy leaves a puddle of sweat, that's a signal?

ELAINE: Yeah! It's a social thing.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:14 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
yeh, kinda creepy. If they hang about at the juice bar, thats ok.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:38 am
@farmerman,
No - I think it depends. I was at the gym (now I am a bit old to get hit on now), but my teen daughter was with me - doing her own workout and she came up to me after and told me about a cute boy she talked. So obviously some girls/women would be open to it.

I would though keep it brief and kind of casual. Something simple like hi are you done with this machine? And then see what sort of reaction you get? If you are younger - something like Hi - you do to such and such high school? Something that would open a conversation, but also easy to give a short answer in case she isn't into talking at the gym. Some girls are more like I am sweaty just here to work out. And others are confident enough in their work out that they don't care if they are a bit sweaty.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:45 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
now I am a bit old to get hit on now

nah

I'm on the fast train to 60 and it's happened at the pool a few times in the last couple of weeks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:49 am
@Linkat,
I always sid, let the lady make any overt moves . I used to workout in a gym that was arranged like a Shaker community. Any fraternizing was done before or after at the juice bar ( a social side).
Gyms that are there for weight loss and flxibility are a bit different from training facilities.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:54 am
@farmerman,
My husband never took that approach - not that we met in a gym - but he was the type if you want it go for it. How he got me -- his friend saw me first but since he wasn't going approach me my hubby said if you aren't going to make a move, I am.

But you are right in the sense you need to know the vibe of the gym. We go to a Y and I would think it appropriate to approach but very casually - what if the person doesn't hang at the juice bar? Just be very aware not to push.

I chit chat with people at the gym all the time - not hitting just talk with people all the time.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:32 am
@Linkat,
Qe did weight training and ring sports. Not Many women there, except some local reporters.
I never cared for "jocky" women anyway. My wife I met through some cultural activities. She was finishing her MFA (and a marriage) and I was waaay done with my first marriage. We both were into the "Arts", We were actully more collegial than romantically involved. That seemed to have grown and made the other kinda difficult.
0 Replies