Is my husband abusive ? and I am abusive as well? please help me.

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:31 am
I am an Indian female, 28yo, a software engineer by profession. I have been married for over a month now. I met my husband in Sept last year through a common friend, we talked a lot on phone and met a couple of times before he said he likes and wants to marry me, I was tired of dating losers and this guy seemed different, caring, sensitive, a good listener, well spoken, mature, from a family of high values. My family was already putting a lot of pressure on me for getting married, so I thought of saying a yes to this guy as he apparently seemed to have the qualities I wanted in my life partner. We soon got engaged in November's last week and moved in together by mid of December. Things were going pretty good till then, apart from a few arguments here and there. I am a short tempered person and he too is one himself. Eventually we started getting into horrible arguments where he would shout right in my face, on top of his lungs...I tried to control but a few times I too started yelling back. On two events in December I got so much so angry that I slapped him, he got verbally abusive then but didn't hit me back. I regretted a lot later, said sorry and decided to never get physically violent again. We spent next 20 days in peace and love. And then it happened again, this time he too hit me back, though not very hard. We again were ashamed of our actions and decided never to repeat them, and then 2 weeks later it happened again, this time he hit me back really hard and I ended up with bumps on my head. . Later after I said sorry and he calmed down, he made an apology for hurting me physically and we both promised to never do so again but He convinced me that I was responsible for fueling his anger to this extent . things went well for a while and our wedding date arrived, we got married in med of feb.
After things settled a little, I thought a lot , analyzed the past and realized that every-time I would hit him, was, not because of my anger but more because of the feeling of helplessness, I would want him to talk through to resolve an argument or a small bout, but on being shouted at, and not seeing him respecting my point of view, I would raise my hand so that it shifts the entire point of the fight to me attacking him physically, so that now I take the control of the situation with making , 'staying angry' or 'saying sorry' as my sole choices. I never hit him with an intention of hurting him, and that’s the reason my slaps to him were never very strong. I after having realized this I had promised myself of never hitting him no matter what, I stopped. But he did not.
A few days later again over something silly we got into arguments, he came and shouted bad in my face, to which I twisted his finger in rage and he beat me up bad, I ended up with bruises, In that moment he was not the guy I loved, he was a different person, the jolt of him throwing me on the floor was so strong that I felt my knee broke, I immediately pleaded him to take me to the hospital and he denied. He called my mom saying that he needs a divorce, my mom made him understand that what he and me did was wrong and that we should never repeat it no matter what, but divorce so soon is not the solution. He made a sincere apology, and I forgave (because somewhere I held myself responsible that I twisted his finger first, though lightly). Everything was good again and I thought this is the end of the nightmare.
But I was wrong, just yesterday, around a week after the previous incident, arguments happened, he cursed me, I has his headphones in my hand, he tried snatching it from me, I kept saying that just listen to me for a minute after that I’ll return your headphones, I am just holding it and not doing it any harm, but he got aggressive and started snatching it from me, I wasn’t leaving it and in that course it broke. He started beating me, pulled my hair , slapped me and punched me in my head, then he started hitting himself, lifted the chair and threw it on the floor, started swearing on me. I immediately left and went to my workplace. Last night after I went back, he said sorry but blamed me for fueling his anger to this extent, I have no clue how to proceed further, I am thinking of going to a psychiatrist or a counselor, he is otherwise a very sweet, caring and loving sort of a person, but when he is angry he is a different person, his heart pounds bad, he hurts me, beats me, swears on me, and wouldn’t care even if I’m dying, he loses his ability to see what is right and what is wrong. He is physically quite strong and I am well aware that the force with which he hits me impose a life threat . please help me understand what is really going on here.

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 07:39 am
@anu05446,
I rarely recommend counseling but in this case I think you both need it.
anu05446

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 08:06 am
@Leadfoot,
communication between us on an issue always leads to an argument, because he smirks when I am talking, he calls me a liar, he calls my analogies as stupid, cuts me short and reaches a conclusion, I just feel he doesn't have any respect for my feelings and opinions.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 08:31 am
@anu05446,
Sorry, but I think your relationship needs to end. You both ignored the warning signs prior to getting married. You have both been physical toward the other and that is not good, especially considering that you have only known each other for about 6 months.

I think you should both walk away from the marriage. Then, you both should seek counseling for your anger issues before even considering starting another relationship with someone. Your behavior is ridiculous. (I mean, really, getting into a fight over headphones? This is something 12 year old kids do, not grown adults.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
@anu05446,
This needs to end yesterday.

It is only escalating. Your mutual promises to never, ever do it again mean absolutely nothing. You have already been to the hospital because of his actions. Do I have to draw you a map to show you where it's going next?

You both need counseling, but not to keep you together. You both need anger management really desperately. But apart. It's over, or at least it should be. Life does not have to be this way for either of you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 09:23 am
BOTH of you need anger management counseling.

BOTH of you are hot heads and ill tempered.

BOTH of you should not even consider bringing a child into this marriage.

It's not surprising that you found each other. No other healthy person would put up with this - from either of you.

Get some help - BOTH of you, before you kill each other.
anu05446

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 09:41 am
@PUNKEY,
I do understand that I have anger issues which I need to seek a solution for, but I was in a relationship for 5 years, which was wonderful and never had any violence, it ended because of our families. I need an answer to why am I so angry in this relation and never was in my previous one, hopefully I'll soon find it. I do love my husband with all my heart and I seriously want to change the way I handle my anger to make it work with him. I have thought of giving it one more chance and seeking professional help. I just hope that everything gets fine.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 12:57 pm
@anu05446,
Quote:
I was in a relationship for 5 years, which was wonderful and never had any violence, it ended because of our families.

Could you explain how that could happen? If anyone let 'family pressure' cause them to end a wonderful relationship, that could well give anyone anger issues.
And can I assume the family approves of THIS relationship?
anu05446

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
It happened because we were from different religions and both the families being conventional didn't approve of that relationship.
This relationship is approved by both the families. I'm otherwise happy in this relationship, but even a small conflict makes me angry more so because my husband raises his voice always and doesn't listen to me, he too is short tempered after all, much more than me. But 90% of times when there is no conflict, we are happy with each other. I think only if my husband learns to respect my opinions and I start respecting his so that we let each other talk during a discussion (it always starts with my husband not listening to me and cutting me short, getting hyper, and I thus getting offended and eventually angry ) situation will never blow out of proportion. We both love each other and don't want to end the relationship, we both want to seek help and bring changes in ourselves.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 05:50 am
@anu05446,
Thank you for your open and honest answers..

I wish I had time for a proper reply but that would have to address all the ills of your society, culture and religion which I am not qualified to do. Not singling out your country, my own country's are very different but probably no better.

I don't know you well enough to say for certain but my guess is that you and your husband's anger may have nothing to do with each other but is the result of pressures related to life in your society and your inability to deal with it. People often react to it in outbursts, smashing a dish, their phone, kicking a dog or taking out their frustration and anger on their partner or children.

The key to solving the problem is finding the root cause of your anger and realizing that it is not your partner causing it. Counseling may help you both do that.

Good luck to you anu,
0 Replies