No, no, no. Thrice times No

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:50 pm
This being an American site and me being a Brit, I am able to use right here, my favorite BAD WORD in the English Language. That word is --- BOLLOX. There, the filter let it go though.
What's your favorite word ? can you get it thru the filter ? if you used it on network TV would the CEO choke to death ? and would the cops put you away in a cage and drop the key down the sewer ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,713 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:16 pm
Oldandnew:

I'm still laughing, can't believe that word is someone else's favorite.

I tried looking it up in the dictionary a few times, but couldn't bring it up. Then I spelled it B-O-L-L-O-C-K-S, and whammo, there it was!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
Misti -- both spellings are valid and it get's used on prime time TV regularly over on this side.
Ever heard the word STREWTH ? Not a bad word, but used with some invective and allied to certain forbidden words, it does have a certain beauty.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:36 pm
O&N: No, I didn't know both spellings were valid, but you learn something new everyday.

On my trips back to Dublin, I'm always so surprised at the laxity of your TV programming, it's so much more liberal than our TV programs in the USA. Yet, in real life, it's the opposite.

Had not heard of STREWTH either. Just popped it into my on-line dictionery and there's no definition.

Thanks for the new word though, now I can't wait to hear the definition:)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:54 pm
Oh, NOW I understand. I never know bollix to be a ((((shiver)))) forbidden word, but it might have been for our forefathers.

Quote:
bol·lix also bol·lox (bol'iks) .
tr.v. Informal., -lixed also -loxed., -lix·ing -lox·ing., -lix·es -lox·es.
To throw into confusion; botch or bungle: managed to bollix up the whole project.

[Alteration of ballocks, testicles, from Middle English balloks, from Old English beallucas]
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:56 pm
misti == you use strewth as form of surprise, like when checkout tells you you groceries are twice what you expected
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:03 pm
Phoenix --- the bottom line of your quote explans all. it's used as a describing rubbish or stupidity these days
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:06 pm
Well, you all know mine, 'tis smeg - as John may well know 'tis from Red Dwarf.

Strewth was used a lot by kids when I was a weelowan. It has to be a contraction of "god's truth"

We say bollocks too - or pigs' bollocks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:06 pm
oldandknew- The way I have always used the word, is when I was attempting to describe something that has been messed up, such as,

"Wow, did he bollix up that assignment"!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:13 pm
that's right. exactly. it's all screwed up. but it's the opposite if you say something is the dog's bolloxs, it's great/ace/brilliant
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:55 pm
John, does anyone in the UK still say 'egad!'? Or did that particular expression go out with gaiters and the morning coat?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 05:52 pm
Andrew
I've never heard "egad" used during my 60 years on this mortal coil, except in jest or drunkenness. I of course tend to loiter in the company of ordinery people, in the pubs of History City. Far beyond the realm of Egad type people. A few morning morning coats litter the occasional ceremony. As for gaiters, well not in my neck of the woods.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:12 pm
bugger bugger bugger

that used to make one of my work buddies positively blanch. He grew up in Ceylon, educated righteously by the Jesuits. Bugger was apparently so horrid that he'd visibly start each time i said it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:13 pm
oldandknew wrote:
Andrew
As for gaiters, well not in my neck of the woods.

errrrrrrrr aren't goiters usually a neck thing?

goiters, gaiters, garters - it must be difficult being a man.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:22 pm
Beth --- Bugger is another of those words that most people take little notice of these days. I think it's almost taken on a somewhat humorous tone following the increased use of other more explicit words. I find it amazing the number of foulmouths I sometimes hear. Others have become immune to it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:48 pm
So we have the bollocks, how's about the Sex Pistols??

The album of that name became a court action, not based on incitments to violence, drug abuse or home wrecking, but for the use of that very word on the cover of an album.

Quote:
The case, heard in the central city of Nottingham later that month, revolved around the alleged indecency of the word bollocks - British slang for testicles.

The decisive evidence came from James Kingsley, a professor of English at Nottingham University and a former priest, who successfully argued that the word was accepted slang and had been in use for centuries.

He explained that a bollock was an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "small ball". Bollocks was also 18th century slang for clergymen, owing to their reputation for talking nonsense, or, in common parlance, a load of old balls.

Kingsley won the day, the shop manager was acquitted and the Pistols' notoriety was assured.

As rude as the word 'bugger' may seem to other English-speaking peoples it's a very mild expression here in Australia. A whole series of media advertisments have been crafted with it featuring prominantly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 06:57 pm
Merry Andrew- I was born in Brooklyn, but have been known to say "egadzooks"! (Does that count? Very Happy )
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:05 am
Oh, hell, they'll say anything in Brooklyn, Phoenix.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 08:14 am
MY vocab is very simple - I just use the F word with different intonations to convery my feelings

F***ing hell - When something unexpected has happened
F*** me - When I don't believe something
F*** it - When I could not care less
F*** off - When I wanna shoo someone away

U get the idea.....
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:43 am
Gautam -- consider the idea received. But as an alternative, you could sustitute f*** with the word goose. It comes from ye olde Cockney rhyming slang, goose and duck.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » No, no, no. Thrice times No
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:12:59