Deuteronomy 13

LAGoff

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 08:49 am
Deut 13 mentions a prophet (or 'sons of belial'- v.13) coming along and seducing about God/religion things (let us follow other gods / gods you have not known). It mentions that even if the thing he says comes true and even if he performs [real] miracles, IF what he says is not consistent with what your fathers/ancestors/wise men/religious leaders have told you, then you/we are to disregard, even kill him (and a city that goes this way too), for YHWH is testing you.

I can't help thinking about that this would apply to Christianity. I mean, you have worship / veneration of Jesus and his name (as opposed to YHWH and His name); Trinitarianism; no Jewish ritual laws of any kind (think of Sunday/Lord's Day worship of 'the Lord'/Jesus instead of Saturday/Sabbath worship of YHWH)'; and in the Orthodox and Catholic churches, you have statue / Mary/ Saint veneration, with the center in Rome (Rome of all places!).

I mean isn't it YHWH (and His name- which is YHWH) ONLY that we must follow?

I would appreciate any feedback you may have, as long as it pertains to what's written in Deuteronomy chapter 13. If you are not willing to read the chapter, and cite something in it in your response to me, then please don't respond.

I'm talking about about how 99 percent of Christianity is today. Would that Israelite who read/heard Det.13 be comfortable with Trinitarian, pork eating Sunday worshipping? Let alone Mary, saint veneration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 660 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 09:55 am
@LAGoff,
What's in a name?
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Furthermore, are you aware that 66.7% of the world's population is not Christian? Those 'other' people have value and their beliefs are just different..not evil or to be disregarded as lesser-than.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 04:04 pm
Quote:
pork eating Sunday

Think FOOTBALL! Think about all those pizzas, enriched with sauces and pork...Think about how much $$ the pizza parlors make on each and every PORKY Sunday, during the football season in the USA... Razz Razz
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 07:21 pm
Well, after reading the chapter, it is apparent that the god condoned and encouraged violent, deadly force against humans who wished to exercise their free will to worship the god of their choice. It is also apparent that anyone who could demonstrate abilities beyond the norm was also the object of the god's hate. And the god also encouraged the destruction of cities in the name of being no. 1 god of the realm. Thank god for modern human laws against such godly things.

Oddly, this does not dissuade modern people from being drawn to this god. It is extremely counter intuitive to love such a being. Perhaps it is a fear of not loving the god that is the driving force behind their allegiance . . .
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 09:16 pm
Here's something that I experienced which turned me away from the god.:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures

Take note that he doesn't LET me lie down in green pastures, or ASK me to lie down in green pastures. But rather, he MAKETH me to lie down in green pastures. The thing is, I didn't want to lie down in the green pasture. I wasn't even tired, and I was on my way to an appointment. Not only that, but I'm allergic to that particular kind of green pasture. Plus, it had just rained, and the green pasture was really wet, and the owner of the pasture had just spread manure on it, AND I was wearing my Sunday best white shirt at the time. All in all, a terrible experience.

Take heed that the god might maketh you to lie down in an allergen-laden, wet green pasture freshly fertilized with cow manure whether you like it or not.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 09:28 pm
@Glennn,
It amazes me that there really are people not able to think metaphorically. But if you going to get pissed off about that one, I would have expected you to complain about being treated like a sheep by a Shepard who rapes you all the time.
Glennn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 10:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
It amazes me that there really are people not able to think metaphorically.

It amazes me that there really are people who believe that Deuteronomy 13 is in any way metaphorical.
Quote:
I would have expected you to complain about being treated like a sheep by a Shepard (shepherd) who rapes you all the time.

No, the raping and the wholesale slaughter was done by the god's representative, Moses, and his hordes. I could have sworn that I've told you this before . . .
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 12:48 pm
@Glennn,
But it was you who brought up Psalm which turned you from God.

I find that much more interesting.
Glennn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
The Psalms thing was just some comedy relief on my part. However, what is even more funny is you believing that the god forced me to the ground when I was on my way to an appointment.

I find Deuteronomy 13 much, much more interesting. Let's get back to that.

Well, after reading the chapter, it is apparent that the god condoned and encouraged violent, deadly force against humans who wished to exercise their free will to worship the god of their choice. It is also apparent that anyone who could demonstrate abilities beyond the norm was also the object of the god's hate. And the god also encouraged the destruction of cities in the name of being no. 1 god of the realm. Thank god for modern human laws against such godly things.

Oddly, this does not dissuade modern people from being drawn to this god. It is extremely counter intuitive to love such a being. In view of the thirteenth chapter of Deuteronomy, as well as the thirty-first chapter of Numbers, perhaps it is a fear of not loving the god that is the driving force behind their allegiance . . .
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:36 pm
@Glennn,
Well, I kind of had tongue in cheek too, thinking of god making you lie down in the grass and - you know...

But back to the Deuteronomy 13 thing, this looks like the author expounding his own views and making a point. Much like the rantings elsewhere in that book about gays. He's obviously a real firebrand and a homophobe. You need to be ready for this type because you will run into them even today. Doesn't mean you have to follow their example. That's my take on it anyway.

Haven't read the whole book of Deu. this time but there is no mention that God gave him this message so far.

But make no mistake, God IS a real hard ass on the issue of other gods. He has zero tolerance for worshiping false ones. Just one of the perks of being God.
Glennn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 02:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was under the impression that Deuteronomy was written by Moses. Are you saying that it was someone else?

Who are some of these other gods that the god was jealous of? Or, are you saying that the god was jealous of what it says does not exist?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 03:08 pm
@Glennn,
Could have been Moses. Were you under the impression that Moses was infallible? That's as silly an idea as believing that the Pope is.

I don't know all the alternative gods of that time, I think one was called Baal. But false gods come in all varieties. Everything from Zeus, Mars, money, job, sex, lover, food, toys, etc. etc. Whatever you place as most important in your life that isn't God.
Glennn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 03:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
No, I was never under the impression that Moses was infallible. I believe that the thirteenth chapter of Deuteronomy and the slaughter of the Midianites make clear that it was not the voice of a deity he was hearing. A good rule of thumb when it comes to whether or not someone speaks for a god is if the speaker (Moses in this case) says that a whole people should be slaughtered because some of them tried to get some Isrealites to worship their god. The same rule applies to an alleged speaker (Moses) for the god who says that anyone with abilities that go beyond the norm should be killed.

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 03:38 pm
@Glennn,
Somebody check to see if hell froze over. I can't find anything there to disagree with.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 07:17 am
@LAGoff,
The rational view would be to find a Jewish believer. How about Association of Hebrew Catholics. ALL the early Christians were Jews ALL
0 Replies