Google- It is So Much More than a Search Engine

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:25 pm
I have been using Google exclusively for a couple of years now, and I love it. Last year Google introduced their "images", and that is where I get most of the pics that I put on A2K.

Recently I learned about Google Viewer. I did not readily see it on the Google page though. So I went sleuthing around, and came up with this website:

Link to "Google Options"

Gadzooks, what those folks are doing is absolutely amazing. Especially check out "Google Labs". The possibilities are amazing.

Let me know what you think!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,495 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:30 pm
I love Google too! Going to check out the other bits.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 01:33 pm
interesting!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 02:51 pm
Phoenix:

I went to the Google image site ... my God, there's nothing you can't find!

What a fantastic site, thanks for posting it!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 03:58 pm
Great site Phoenix! Thanks!
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:36 pm
I'm a Google fan too, but I never realized the depth of Google. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing the site, Phoenix.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 04:56 pm
I literally live on the Google news site while I'm at work - always looking for health stuff in the news. It's an amazingly powerful tool. It's also been great for tracking accident locations when someone calls in an accident from an obscure location somewhere in North America.
0 Replies

DalTheJigsaw23

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:16 pm
yes, indeed google amazing but
theres this other web site well search engine
its called something like timid or something i am not there
about the name but as soon as i find it i will let you all know
but thanks for this link google is def nice
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
Google is way cool. Google for searching, Google for images, Google for news, Google for investigating acquaintances. I use it at work and for fun.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 04:40 pm
interesting - you guys are getting me to google - I've been in such a private search engine rut. Smile
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 04:43 pm
I have been using Google for news. If I want to use the images, do we use the directions from the A2K tutorial?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:44 pm
Mapleleaf - I use Google Images search for my avatars on a2k. You just have to make sure they are not too large. Once you find an image that is small enough all you need to do is get it's URL, which is listed underneath the image on the google image page. A small number of them won't work for one reason or another, but most do. The instructions on the tutorial page should work, yes.

All The Web is also a good search engine for the invisible web - it regularly turns up results I don't get anywhere else. And Teoma seems promising too.

ALL THE WEB

TEOMA
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 06:09 am
LarryBS- You can even use the larger pictures, if you shrink them to size first. As long as you have a photo program, like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can do this. If you don't have the foggiest idea of what I am talking about, stick to the right size pictures! Very Happy

Also if you go to www.google.com and type in "small avatars", you can find a bunch of sites that have all sorts of pictures
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 06:41 am
Thanks Phoenix - I knew you could downsize pix, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. And thanks for the google tip - I usually add ".gif" after a search term and usually get smaller pictures, but not always - I'll try your way. Its especially frustrating because I haven't found that perfect LarryBS avatar yet!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 12:47 pm
LarryBS- Give me an idea of what you are looking for. In a former life, I was Sam Spade! Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 07:19 pm
I don't really know. Something that catches the eye - my favorite avatar is probably bibliophile's blue eye. Or something that is me - haven't found that yet, although I may switch to Zonker (Doonesbury) soon - we have similar goals in life. Thanks for your offer Sam. Laughing
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:43 pm
Am posting a new thread on this subject with Google Searches because it has popped up again as a hot topic in another posting forum I belong to. Here is the important part: with the US patriot act and the spread of telemarketing and junk mail - google has now drastically reduced privacy for individuals! see this quote from a google page I found only when I asked google to remove my personal address and telephone number!!!!
Quote:
Google has added the convenience of US street address and phone number lookup to the information we provide through our search box. You'll see publicly listed phone numbers and addresses at the top of results pages for searches that contain specific kinds of keywords.

To find listings for a US business, type the business name into the Google search box, along with the city and state. Or type the business name and zip code. Entering the phone number with area code will also return a complete business listing.

To find listings for a US residence, type any of the following combinations into the Google search box:

first name (or first initial), last name, city (state is optional)
first name (or first initial), last name, state
first name (or first initial), last name, area code
first name (or first initial), last name, zip code
phone number, including area code
last name, city, state
last name, zip code
If your query results in business and residential listings, both categories will be listed for your convenience.

To have your residential or business phone and address information removed from the Google PhoneBook, click here.

This was in the news a few years ago, but Google has added to the search ease for those you may rather not have access to your personal information...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:09 am
THIS IS A MUST READ

How to Find Anything Online
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:35 pm
Husker- That article is great. As soon as I finished reading it, I plunked it into my "Favorites". Thanks so much!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:43 pm
Me too! Hi Phoenix!!!!
0 Replies