General Ledger

gollum

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:07 pm
Is there computer software I could buy or otherwise to create and operate a general ledger for a small non-profit organization?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,373 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:42 pm
@gollum,
Probably lots of them. I use what used to be called Peachtree Pro and has been renamed Sage Pro. The higher level is Sage Complete. I've never used it in a non profit, but can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

ETA: I just imagine QuickBooks software has exactly the same potential and seems to be more widely used, though I have never seen it on screen, let alone used it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:46 pm
@gollum,
I use xero.com for the businesses I own and the non-profits I participate in, it is the best online accounting system around right now and the first accounting software I have ever seen that I didn't think was flaming hot garbage.

They give a 25% discount to non-profits, but are not free.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:48 pm
@roger,
I have very limited experience with peachtree, but my impression has been that they are more of a big enterprise one, with smaller entities generally using quickbooks. I probably wouldn't recommend Sage for smaller entities (unless things have dramatically changed since I last used them).

I find all those programs god-awful compared to a good cloud-based one though. Xero is great, and once we switched from quickbooks we never looked back.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2016 08:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't know. . . . I used Sage for a company with ~ 50 employees that ran to seven million in invoicing in its best year. I don't know if that sounds large or small but it did a decent job. Since that time, every upgrade seems to delete a feature and sell it as an extra, but I've heard Quicken follows the same path. I'm certainly not pushing it; it's just one of several available.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:25 am
@roger,
Oh I'm sure it's fine for smaller businesses. My perception was based on total cost of ownership (pricing, complexity). It seemed to be a more enterprise solution based on that but I could be completely wrong, and have ultimately ended up going to Xero with my businesses without trying Sage very extensively.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 06:36 am
Quickbooks would be OK for a small non profit. You can even track donors or memberships.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » General Ledger
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:17:10