Allusions to Shakespeare in Modern Movies, Books...

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:44 pm
"Man delights not me," he says to the monkeys in the zoo. "Nor woman neither... nor woman neither..."

Poor Withnail; too much in common with his uncle.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:13 pm
I'll try this again. "Joe Macbeth" starring Paul Douglas. I hope noonesaw the post I had to X out. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:20 pm
I don't think anyone's mentioned "Throne of Blood" by Kurosawa. Based on Macbeth. Excellent!
0 Replies

yojo500

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:25 pm
I hope your all happy, do any of you know what an allusion is, it's a reference to a person, place, or thing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:59 pm
yojo500 wrote:
I hope your all happy, do any of you know what an allusion is, it's a reference to a person, place, or thing

Welcome to A2K, yojo600! I think you'll enjoy this forum. I've taken the liberty of correcting your punctuation and one minor spelling error, however. You'll find people respond more favorably if they respect your writing skills.

"I hope you're all happy. Do any of you know what an allusion is? It's a refernce to a person, place or thing."
0 Replies

sbz sbz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:36 pm
hi ppl..

i got a same project.. my teacher wants me to find shakespeare's allusions used in modern movies or in in comics or in any ads.. some help wuld helpful.. and

can u plz tell me about this line

"SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES"
-macbeth

can u plz tell me

THIS LINE IS FROM WHICH BOOK ?
WHICH ACT ?
WHICH SCENE?
WHICH LINE?

i really want to noe.. coz i found tht this line is been used in the HARRY POTTER 3 . u can see tht line on the posters of hp 3.. but my teacher wants all the info.. i mentioned

can u plz find me the info i need..

and if possible .. can u find some thing similar to wht i found

help is needed.. i need to hand my project very soon

please help me !
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
Just google something wicked this way comes macbeth.

First one that popped up for me gave all the information.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:57 pm
sbz_sbz wrote:
hi ppl..

i got a same project.. my teacher wants me to find shakespeare's allusions used in modern movies or in in comics or in any ads.. some help wuld helpful.. and

can u plz tell me about this line

"SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES"
-macbeth

can u plz tell me

THIS LINE IS FROM WHICH BOOK ?
WHICH ACT ?
WHICH SCENE?
WHICH LINE?

i really want to noe.. coz i found tht this line is been used in the HARRY POTTER 3 . u can see tht line on the posters of hp 3.. but my teacher wants all the info.. i mentioned

can u plz find me the info i need..

and if possible .. can u find some thing similar to wht i found

help is needed.. i need to hand my project very soon

please help me !

Yep, Google it.

But, it was also used as the title of a Ray Bradbury book...or story...or collection of stories.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:55 pm
That line is from Macbeth, Act IV, scene 1, line 45.

The Ray Bradbury story by that name was also an interesting and scary movie.

Lion King is very loosely based on Hamlet. Read this thread for some more ideas of other recent movies inspired by Shakespeare.
0 Replies

sbz sbz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:17 pm
thnks alot for the help guyz. i got some really good stuff.. and one more thing

like.. the way how i found a quote . also used in hp 3... can u find me some like tht..

i mean.. can u find some shakespeare's quotes being used a title for a magazine or a movie's slogan . or in a song. or in a book's slogaN

i hope u get . wht i mean.

thnks alot for helping me.. !!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Sahil Shah

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:47 pm
sbz_sbz wrote:
thnks alot for the help guyz. i got some really good stuff.. and one more thing

like.. the way how i found a quote . also used in hp 3... can u find me some like tht..

i mean.. can u find some shakespeare's quotes being used a title for a magazine or a movie's slogan . or in a song. or in a book's slogaN

i hope u get . wht i mean.

thnks alot for helping me.. !!!!!!!!

Yeah, I had the same project handed to me and I managed to find a few things out you may want to check out.
Shakespeare quotes were used very very often in Star Trek.

Here, take these links, they should give you a few star trek shakespeare allusions:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5462/bardtrek.html

http://scifi.about.com/library/weekly/aa022800.htm

These should help you out. I myself need more than just these, as the person with the most allusions gets a prize Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
Plenty of book titles of very well-known works are quotaations from Shakespeare. John Steinbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent is from the opening lines of King Richard III; William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is from Macbeth. Dozens of others.
0 Replies

Sahil Shah

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:36 pm
Oh cool, got any site that gives you a list of allusions to shakespeare except star trek?
0 Replies

sbz sbz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:30 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Plenty of book titles of very well-known works are quotaations from Shakespeare. John Steinbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent is from the opening lines of King Richard III; William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury is from Macbeth. Dozens of others.

THANKS ALOT - THAT WAS VERY VERY USEFUL

PLZ PLZ PLZ CAN U GIVE M E SOME MORE.. ATLEAST 5 MORE...LOL... plz man .. help me .. i really need it

plz give me some more... like the ones u gave me last time

i will be waiting.. its real urgent

for my project

thanks
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:46 pm
Couple more:

Aldous Huxley takes the title for his Brave New World from The Tempest. "...oh, brave new world, that has such goodly creatures in it." I believe Ariel says it. Norman Mailer's Armies of the Night is also an allusion from Shakespeare but I can't recall, offhand, which of the plays.
0 Replies

sbz sbz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
QUOTES FROM SHAKESPEARE -

Brave New World

Armies of the Night

The Winter of Our Discontent

The Sound and the Fury

The Rest is Silence

----

For all the above quotes of shakespeare

i need info about them

WHICH BOOK/PLAY ?

WHICH SCENE ?

WHICH ACT ?

WHICH LINE ?

i want this info for all the quotes i mentioned. please give me the info if u can. i really want it , as its very important, its for my english project which is worth

30 % of my final mark

its really worth alot

please help me !
0 Replies

Sahil Shah

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:13 pm
sbz_sbz

For each quote you have:

Go to google, and type: Shakespeare - (THE QUOTE)

It will give you the play, the act, scene.

If the quotes are from any of the following plays :

The Tempest
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Merchant of Venice
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet
Macbeth
King Lear
Julius Caesar

If, and only IF, the quotes are from the plays mentioned above, use these two site:
http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/
http://www.kidsnewsroom.org/elmer/infocentral/stories/shakespeare/

Use these two sites very efficiently and you can get any quote from the plays, the act, the scene and the line.
0 Replies

sbz sbz

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

BRING SOME MORE.. i really need some more .. will be waiting

its urgent
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
Been screwin' off rather than completing an assignment and now desparately need help, eh?

Good luck . . .
0 Replies