Does any one know any good long books?

larry richette

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:37 am
I have nothing against contemporary authors and in fact admire several of them, like V .S. Naipaul and Coetzee very much. What I dislike is trendy contemporary junk like David Foster Wallace, Rick Moody, Jonathan Franzen, and Martin Amis. I suggest that it's much better to read the classics than 95% of contemporary literature.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 11:03 am
That's kind of how it goes, though, isn't it? Any given classic was probably within the top 5% of the literature of that time...

What I love beyond all else is reading something contemporary that has not already been canonized, and being blown away without expecting to be.

I think we've gone over this before, but for me there are many kinds of nourishment to be drawn from books, and the most pure, Quality literature is just one type of nourishment. I don't deny that filet mignon is really, really delicious, but I like to eat a variety of foods in my everyday life, including the occasional Snickers bar. I'll never say that the Snickers bar and the filet mignon are equivalent when it comes to excellence or value, but each have a place.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
Dorothy Dunnet - I've talked about her on other threads - a really satisfying literary style, brilliant research, racing story line, wealth of characters, politics. adventure it has the lot!

The Game of Kings is the first (very thick book) of a series of 6
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
My Life--The Autobiography of Cassanova.

Over 3,000 pages. I gave up after about two hundred pages. Hope you have better luck than that.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:13 pm
I'm with Sozobe.

Kicky, I think I saw a film version of that not too long ago. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try the book.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
Yeah, it was a tough one. I actually gave up on War and Peace too. Those are probably the only two books I've ever given up on. I usually love a good long book, but I guess they were set in places and times that were just too alien to me, and I couldn't relate to it.

Oh, I just remembered another great long book. Dickens--David Copperfield. I think it's about 800 pages, and it's such a good book. The characters are amazing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:40 pm
I remember reading David Copperfield when I was seventeen over one intense-read weekend - I couldn't put it down.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:42 pm
I know. All women love Dickens.

<snickers and runs from the room>
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:48 pm
Yes, but it's true nonetheless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:58 pm
I had a male friend who read all of Dickens..
hmm, maybe we should do a Dickens poll.
<chasing after Kicky>
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
I think there's already one of those in General.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:19 pm
Really? OK!
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
Sozobe, the person who posted this topic was asking for a GOOD long book. I was responding about what I thought was good and what wasn't. If you want to read junk, by all means do so, but that wasn't what the topic was asking for. And by the way, a diet that includes Snickers bars may amuse you, but it doesn't nourish you. Junk is junk in all forms--dietary or literary--and it isn't healthy in any of them.
0 Replies