MP3's, WMA's, Wave Files, CD's blah blah blah...

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
This might be more at home in Computers, but what the heck.

I'm confused about music formats. Let me elaborate.

I've just bought a personal CD player. It plays regular 'original' CD's, CDW's and CDRW's. This means I can either play my own CDs, or create compilations of audio tracks on a CDR and play them as well. So far so good. This all makes sense.

The manual also tells me it will play MP3 and WMA files from a CDW/RW, and that a CD will hold up to 10 hrs of MP3s. I know that I can get MP3 files from either a legal or illegal download site, then burn them to CD and play them back. Also so far so good.

What I would like to know is if it is possible to covert a standard audio track from a CD into an MP3 file and then put this onto a CD, and how to do it.

The 10hrs vs. 70mins is the main reason I want to convert my existing CDs into MP3s to get loads more onto a CD.

(And please don't tell me simply to buy an MP3 player.)

Many thanks! :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,539 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
you can make mp3's of songs off your own cd's using a program like musicmatch or real player

you can download free versions at the respective websites
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 09:28 pm
There are heaps of freeware (& even more commercial) programs that rip from CD audio to MP3, WMA, WAV, etc.

Djjd mentioned a couple options...some others that immediately come to mind are Exact Audio Copy, DBpowerAmp, CDex, Easy CD-DA Extractor, Audiograbber....etc., etc.

By the way, Windows Media Player, which you should already have with Windows, rips CDs to WMA quite capably (& to MP3 if you buy a plug-in).
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 05:23 am
Thanks to you both for the advice.

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant difference (either playback quality, file sizes etc) between WMA and MP3? Is one 'better' than another?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:21 pm
according to musicmatch 128kbps mp3 = cd quality and 64kbps wma = cd quality

i usually use 96kbps wma
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:42 pm
In the long run, your ears are the end of the chain, and every link from them all the way back to the original recording session is going to impact your listening experience. Listening over a typical computer sound system, portable player, entry-level auto sound system, or one of those "apartment sized" stereos isn't going to benefit much from higher bitrates ... say, 192kbps for MP3, 96 for WMA, would be "About as good as its gonna get", though neither sample rate/format combo really even begins to approach real Redbook/CD-A compliance.

The advantage WMA files have over MP3 files is that for an equivalent listening experience, a WMA file will require half the memory required by an MP3 file. On the other hand, MP3 files are far more common, especially when it comes to P2P file sharing.

I'd suggest you experiment a bit, using a CD/RW if you want to hold down costs and if your player will handle it, and determine what sounds good enough for you ... after all, its your music and your ears, so you're the only judge that matters.

Personally, with my equipment, I hear a distinct, and unfavorable, difference between a 256kbps MP3 file and the original CD, less so with a 320kbps file, but still "not quite the same". Anything below 192kbps is all but unlistenable. I find similar results comparing equivalent (read "half-the-size") WMA files to originals, too. If I were to make a choice between the two, with memory capacity a deciding factor, I'd go for WMA. I'm picky, though, and don't much care about how long a disc will play, I care about how well it plays, and I don't use any of the compressed formats. I get 74 minutes of music on a 74 minute disc, and that's goood enough for me.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 09:56 pm
Thanks to you both.

I have Real Player already so I'm going to give it a go. I guess it's mainly a case of experimenting with the balance between quality and quantity.

When I get it sorted I'll post back in case anyone has the same question in the future.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:49 am
Buy an ipod. Forget that 10hrs nonsense and go for 10 days.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:45 am
i have discovered how to rip music from a CD.
from this day forward, i doubt my life will ever be the same...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 01:17 am
I just wanted to backup Timber's post about 256 and 320kb bitrates being much better. I can't believe that anyone would say that 128kb is 'cd quality'. It's bearable but it aint CD. Maybe average FM? For music I just don't bother with anything under 128 (podcasts maybe).

What I hadn't noticed/known is Timber's observation that a 128kb mp3 is about the same quality as a 64kb wma. I hadn't noticed that at all. I thought bit rate was bit rate and the wma compression was just a little more efficient than the mp3 one.

Will have to do some more reading and listening.

Region - you're life won't be the same. Now you are going to rip your entire collection and then worry about backups because you don't want to go through that tortuous process again. And you'll learn to hate unreliable internet libraries of track listings....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:47 am
my ultimate goal is to eventually stop lugging music CD's to work.
so far i'm pleased with 256kbps...
0 Replies