Does "I got stoned for the first time" mean "I took (illegal) drug for the first time"?

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:58 am

Context:

McCollum and the rebellious Jobs (who had grown his hair long and become involved in the growing counterculture) would eventually clash and Jobs began to lose interest in the class. He also had no interest in sports and would later say that he didn't have what it took to "be a jock. I was always a loner."[7]
He underwent a change during mid-1970: "I got stoned for the first time; I discovered Shakespeare, Dylan Thomas, and all that classic stuff. I read Moby Dick and went back as a junior taking creative writing classes."[7] Jobs also later noted to his official biographer that "I started to listen to music a whole lot, and I started to read more outside of just science and technology— Shakespeare, Plato. I loved King Lear ... when I was a senior I had this phenomenal AP English class. The teacher was this guy who looked like Ernest

MOre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs#Homestead_High

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:59 am
@oristarA,

yes...
oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:45 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

yes...

Well. The renowned genius Steven Jobs took drugs... eh, this is a news to me.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:45 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does "I got stoned for the first time" mean "I took (illegal) drug for the first time"?

In this context, yeah, but not necessarily. People can also get "stoned" on legal substances, like alcohol, ya know?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:49 am
@layman,

i googled "Steve Jobs drug use"...

Quote:
It's hardly a secret that Steve Jobs used to indulge in some recreational drug use back in the day.
Indeed, Jobs once said that taking LSD was one of the "two or three most important things" he ever did in his life.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 11:45 am
@oristarA,
I'd say no. I get the distinct impression that he was uplifted (got stoned) by all that intellectual activity
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 03:08 pm
Dale, he got stoned! Everybody knows that. It wasn't even a secret in the 1980s. He once said that taking LSD was one of the "two or three most important things" he ever did in his life. He started using marijuana during his sophomore year at Homestead High (1970) at the age of 15. These days I tend to the view that youngsters should try to avoid smoking too much pot if they want to amount to anything, but Jobs is a big counterexample.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "I got stoned for the first time" mean "I took (illegal) drug for the first time"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:18:13