patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
Quote:
Yeah, I forgot the point. I do that a lot.

The point of what? Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:11 am
sozobe wrote:
If it's one I like, or even one that hits those euphoria neurons even though I don't consciously like it, it will get replayed over and over until it fades and gets raggedy.

I think that as part of this, but maybe I read it somewhere else, certain kinds of music, especially low to soaring, have physiological effects. Think choirs, spiritual "uplifting" music.

Euphoria neurons, that is what I am talking about with my reaction to putting on that Leonard Cohen disc. In this case, I think the neuron runthrough built on pre-existing pleasure.

On my liking Callas' singing and Yma Sumac's warbling 5 octave voice recently, I think low to soaring has something to do with my instant attraction/euphoria. And that Tchaikovsky symphony had a lot of drama in it, so dramatic, er, resonance is additive for me. But, that in itself is interesting... I often react with a mental reject button when folks get dramatic in speech, even in writing, and certainly when they do in behavior; maybe the soaring part overrides my drama qualms and what I just said in the last sentence about drama being additive for me is not quite right.

Cohen, is, on the other hand, not at all dramatic in vocal style, quite the opposite.

Mulling..
I wonder if there is a shutoff valve for "euphoria neurons", re the tunes one gets sick of that one liked before..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:59 am
It's conceivable -- and, again, I'm just pulling things out of my butt here -- that if there is "euphoria juice" being dumped in particular spots, the "euphoria juice receptors" could be expressed less in response to this. There's no reason that I know of to believe that this is the case, but the expression of some receptors by some cells does decrease in response to constant stimulation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:10 pm
Yes, I could envision that, Pdog. Hmm, trying to remember feedback inhibition mechanism, er, back in my Kreb's cycle understanding days.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
Wishing I knew something about the brain...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
I read that Sach's article Boomerang mentioned, but having not processed all the info deeply into my own brain, don't remember much. Which brings up another thing, some information seems to be imbedded, or processed, more definitively than other information.. in my own mind at least.
Much information flows over m'brain in some kind of quick wash, and if I don't reconsider it, a minute or a day or a month later, it fades.

My exhusband was (is) a slow reader. I was startled by how much slower a reader he was than I.. but it turned out that he was analyzing and processing info much more fully than myself.

Ah, I see I am off on a tangent here.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 12:29 pm
No! Not a tangent!

Am reading The Blank Slate right now -- but slowly*, like your ex, and I haven't come across anything that would shed any light on this subject yet.

* Not slow from any depth of understanding. It just takes a long time for a sentence to sink into my brain. Spatial stuff sinks right in, but language -- not so good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
While I suspect English is not her first language, this PhD has some interesting info and links to brain function and how (although not directly mentioned) A2K can improve our minds: http://www.epub.org.br/cm/n05/editori5_i.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
Interesting..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
I found a realted topic that people interested in music and the brain might enjoy:

Link to Is Music a Language
0 Replies