Should "a bevvy of" be "a bevy of"?

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 12:54 pm

Context:

These gains are largely thanks to historic breakthroughs in the past few years with a bevvy of methods to employ patients’ own immune systems, collectively known as immunotherapy. But still large obstacles remain when it comes to getting immunotherapy to work for many different types of tumors. Although some cancers—particularly those that are rife with mutations like lung cancer or melanoma—create more tangible targets on the surface of cells for the immune system to recognize and attack, other malignancies such as prostate and pancreatic cancers have proved more intransigent. As Scientific American reported earlier this year, more than half of the current cancer clinical trials do incorporate some form of immunotherapy but still oncologists are often only in the early stages of understanding how to use such treatment on a larger scale. Even with the cancers that are further along in their immunotherapy responses, a “certain fraction of those kinds of tumors, I don’t know we’ll ever cure,” Allison says.
MOre:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-we-truly-cure-cancer/#
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 528 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:31 pm
@oristarA,
That word can be looked up online in a dictionary. It is properly spelled bevy.

Spelled in any other way, it is a typo or a misspelling.
oristarA

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 01:07 am
@Ragman,
Thanks.
Does "ever" mean " Even with the cancers that are further along in their immunotherapy responses, a “certain fraction of those kinds of tumors, I don’t know we’ll ever cure,” Allison says." in:
Quote:
Even with the cancers that are further along in their immunotherapy responses, a “certain fraction of those kinds of tumors, I don’t know we’ll ever cure,” Allison says.
?
Ragman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 04:46 am
@oristarA,
yes
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 05:17 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Spelled in any other way, it is a typo or a misspelling.

'Bevvy' (plural: bevvies) is a British English slang word for an alcoholic drink - I went to the pub and had a couple of bevvies. Derived from 'beverage'.

Ragman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 06:45 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
If you read the context of the article quoted, that is not the application of the word the OP is inquiring about.

That being said, I was not aware of that application. I stand corrected that there was another spelling and application.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:22 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

yes

Sorry, I meant that "does 'ever' there mean 'all the time and on every occasion'?"

Ragman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2016 08:12 am
@oristarA,
yes. Ever is an absolute.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should "a bevvy of" be "a bevy of"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:16:17