What was your favorite David Bowie song?

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 09:58 pm
I think my next Bowie purchase was Low

Loved so much of the left of centre Electro-pop on Side 1. Appreciated side 2, but it never made me want to drive fast with the top down.

For a long time I loved 'Sound and Vision' s drum and bass combo, but I think I played it a few too many time (while trying to learn how to sing and play bass for it at the same time) - so now this is my favourite 2 minute slice of new wave electro-pop.

And my cute piece of related trivia?

Soon after Bowie released 'Low' Nick Lowe released an EP called 'Bowi'. http://www.discogs.com/Nick-Lowe-Bowi/master/321867
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 12:09 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU
;-)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2016 05:45 pm
My next Bowie purchase was 'The Man Who Sold The World'.

Although you can hear him following some paths first opened up on 'Space Oddity' he ignores a bunch of others and this is his 'hard rock' album the tracks are consistently good and raucous making up for the lack of polish of later albums by the exuberance and robustness of the playing (which often sounds like a live recording mix). Occasionally the lyrics get a little twee (his lyric writing is far more explicatory than it was to become)

My favourite track has changed over the years literally, just about every song has been a fave at one time or another, so choosing the best track of this is a statistical exercise in that this track has been the favourite more often than any of the others.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2016 05:10 pm
I thnk I jumped forward to Station to Station as my next Bowie album. I think his voice is in many ways at his best on this one. Golden Years is a classic, the title track had a simple bass line I could play, Stay spoke to my awkward teenage self for a long time, Word On A Wing's loungey christianness didn't even grate - but TVC-15 did grate. But ultimately my fave is the only cover on the album - just for the vocal gymnastics - to have that range and control. Sigh.

0 Replies