Internet problems, VPN

H4ZE

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 12:50 pm
Hey there,

I have a bandwidth from 6 MB/s download and 2 MB/s upload. I always used the internet with WLAN with the Fritz!Box 7390 router. Then sadly it broke and I bought the newer one, the 7490. Before I never had issues with my connection, always had 6 MB/s download. Now with the new one all several seconds my connection interrupts and the speed goes for some seconds to 0 MB/s, slowly rises to 6 MB/s and falls back to 0 MB/s...
I don't really know what the problem is. I tried everything from resetting router, (installed Windows 10 completely new too), updated drivers...
The router can't be the problem, with my iPad and my mobile phone I have constantly full speed.

Now what this has to do with VPN: When I'm using a VPN connection (tested with CyberGhost) ironically I get constantly 6 MB/s download...I'm not using a anti-virus software and I tried to set the windows firewall off but nothing worked. I don't know what I can further do :/
Thanks for your reply and sorry for not the best English...

H4ZE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 27
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 01:28 pm
@H4ZE,
It seems like you have exonerated every piece of the system. The links in the system are Internet => Service Provider => Cable or ISDN modem => Router => Computer.

- If it was the Internet, all your devices would be slow and VPN would be slow as well.
- If it was the service provider, the phone and tablet would be as slow as the computer, but VPN which uses a different provider would be fine.
- If it was the modem, all services would be equally slow.
- If it was the router, all services would be equally slow.
- If it was the computer, all services on that computer would be slow, both VPN and direct.

Something is off. Are you sure the phone and tablet are getting the full download speed? As a test, disconnect the router from the cable modem and connect your computer directly to the cable modem by taking the cable from the cable model and directly running into the Ethernet jack on the computer. That takes the router completely out of the loop. If you are still slow, try VPN again and see if that is still fast. Final question, are you directly connected from the computer to the router? If so, try a wireless connection and see if that changes something. Also try changing the port you are plugged into. Note that because the VPN works fine, this is likely not the issue since the router to computer connection is common for both VPN and non-VPN systems.
H4ZE

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 01:48 pm
@engineer,
Thank you for your answer.

My phone and tablet are truely getting full Speed. With my phone (Android) I downloaded a 1 GB testfile and I always had 5-6 MB/s... With the Ethernet cable I tried it too. I used a 20m cable from downstairs to my Computer and i got full Speed, so the Problem has to come from the wireless Connection of my Computer...
I tried it with VPN again, I got constantly 6 MB/s on a Steam download (tried same without VPN and I got the flucations as described before...
Changing the port I think you mean in the "wireless network settings" -> IPv4->...Changing there something I tried too, sadly with no change.

Just to add, I think my Wii U has the same Problem with the wireless Network...The Speed is as bad as it is on my Computer. Probably that could help^^
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 02:44 pm
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/381117/width/1000/height/1000/flags/LL
0 Replies

H4ZE

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 03:39 pm
@engineer,
Found out another thing.
I tested the wireless connection again with my friends laptop, same issue...
So it's not my pc's problem, has to be something else :/
Robert Gentel

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 03:52 pm
@H4ZE,
What you describe sounds like it could possibly be a matter of ISP throttling certain kinds of traffic (e.g. p2p, video streaming) but when you do it over VPN it no longer does so. A long shot but basically the idea is that it is the ISP as the problematic node but the problem is selective and not affecting encrypted traffic.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:00 pm
@H4ZE,
Since you don't have an issue when you use a cable, maybe it is the wireless mode or security you are using.

Here are the wireless specs on the Wii U

•Wireless Frequency: 2.4GHz Frequency
•Wireless Modes: 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n
•Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP)

I don't own a Wii U, but if it is like the Wii, you should be able to look in the Internet setup and see what Security mode it is using and what wireless mode it is using. B is slower than G is slower than N and your newer devices might be using AC which is faster still.
Robert Gentel

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:02 pm
@H4ZE,
If the problem is wireless vs wired have you tried changing bands in case you are getting a lot of interference?
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:50 pm
It's a bookmark you knucklehead thumb-downer
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:18 pm
@engineer,
The problem with all of these possibilities is that your VPN works wirelessly. That points to an ISP issue, but then you should have that on all devices and both wired and wireless. Very confusing.
Robert Gentel

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 09:58 pm
@engineer,
I wonder if they are throttling a certain pattern of use or hardware signature.
0 Replies

H4ZE

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:30 am
@engineer,
Firstly, I have both, a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz wireless network and both had the issues. the security mode is WPA2-PSK(AES).
I don't really get it how it works correctly on my phone and tablet but not on the computers...could that be because of windows or something?
engineer

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 06:37 am
@H4ZE,
Not if the VPN works and the computer works when attached with a cable. That is why this is confusing. You've disproven each link in the chain as a source unless it is something like Robert proposed where the company is looking at your hardware configuration and controlling throttling. Doesn't seen likely but that is about all that is left. Does this happen 24/7 or just on occasion?
maxdancona

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:10 am
@H4ZE,
Have you spoken with Technical Support at your ISP? If you are in a place where you can switch to a different ISP, they tend to be very helpful. The might be able to give you insight on the throttling hypothesis.

H4ZE

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:27 am
@engineer,
That's happening 24/7, doesn't matter what time it is :/
0 Replies

H4ZE

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:30 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know if that would change anything...As I said in the first post, at the beginning I had the older version of the router and then it worked normally as fast as it had to be.
Could it be a fault of the router with false settings or so?
engineer

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:51 am
@H4ZE,
The 5GHz network is a short range, high speed option if I understand it correctly. What network do you typically use for each device? Still, if it was the network or the computer card, you should have the same problem with VPN that you do without. It is the same connection, just with a different ISP. VPN can't make your modem->router->computer connection faster or more reliable.

Is it possible that there is a frequency issue between your computer and the router? The router is likely selecting the optimum frequency based on avoiding interference. I'm hypothesizing that your phone and tablet are very good at following the router around but maybe your computer is Wii are slower. In your router settings, try disabling that option and forcing it to stay on a single frequency (for the 2.4GHz band, your options are probably 1-11 and it really doesn't matter which you choose.)
maxdancona

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:54 am
@H4ZE,
It wouldn't hurt to call them anyway, it is in their interest to help you. They may also have statistics on their side.
0 Replies

H4ZE

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:29 pm
@engineer,
Probably my computer doesn't like wireless connection...
Do you know how I could setup a virtual LAN connection with that my computer thinks he is connected with a LAN cable?
Probably that could help...
I searched something with loopback adapter but didn't get it to work :/
engineer

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:10 pm
@H4ZE,
If your computer didn't like the connection, VPN would be affected too - same connection.

1. Forums
  2. » Internet problems, VPN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:35:30