Does "attended rounds" mean "attended several times"?

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 01:08 am

Context:

Taking Their Own Lives — The High Rate of Physician Suicide
Eva Schernhammer, M.D., Dr.P.H.
N Engl J Med 2005
When I was an oncology fellow in Vienna, a colleague who had attended rounds with me on the ward went home afterward and strangled herself. Only later was it learned that she had suffered from depression. In the course of that same year, three more physicians in my immediate circle — two residents and a department head — took their own lives. This stunning series was my first encounter with physician suicide, and it left many of us doctors with an important message: we must care not only for our patients but also for ourselves. In an effort to prevent . . .

MOre:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp058014
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 585 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:37 am
@oristarA,
Poor thread. Smile
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

.When I was an oncology fellow in Vienna, a colleague who had attended rounds with me on the ward went home afterward and strangled herself. .MOre:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp058014

In this context, "making the rounds" means making a "tour" of, say a hospital where your patients are. You go check on all your patients--that's one example of what we call "making the rounds."

In my case, "making the rounds" usually boils town to hittin all the bars in town, ya know?
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 04:47 am
@layman,
It comes from the word "around' ultimately. It's when you "go around" from point to point on some pre-established course on a regular basis.
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:20 am
@layman,
Thanks
make the rounds of the wards; go the rounds of the wards; ward round of doctor?
layman

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 05:36 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Thanks
make the rounds of the wards; go the rounds of the wards; ward round of doctor?

Heh, now you're confusing me. If a doctor is planning to go see all his patients (say at a hospital) then is going to "go around" and see them all. So he is planning to "make the rounds" (his personal rounds--every other doctor would have his own "rounds" to make).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "attended rounds" mean "attended several times"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:20:45