Financially beneficial to downgrade 12v transformers?

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2016 11:15 pm
Hi, in my family room I have low voltage (12v) track lighting. Originally I had 4 transformers each powering 5x 35 watt MR11 fixtures.

I got rid of the halogens and went with LED's. (4 watts each)

I removed and disconnected two transformers Leaving me with the remaining two now powering 10x 4 watt LED's.

The existing transformers are rated for a maximum of 240 watts each. They are only driving 40 watts worth of LED's.

Is it financially beneficial to spend $80 (each) and downgrade the 240 watt transformers to ones that max out at 60 watts?

So will downgrading to a lower output transformer save me money over the next 10 years or is it total irrelevant? (existing transformers are over 12 years old from when we built the house).

Thanks!

dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2016 12:20 pm
@johnsalazar,
My guess John, and yes it's wild, is that it's okay to continue the bigger fella. However, you should measure its voltage under load. Depending upon its internal resistances, etc, its sec voltage might be slightly higher than you suppose, reducing the life of the bulbs
johnsalazar

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2016 12:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks. I will do that. Not too worried about lifespan as way I look at LED bulbs is that their lifespan is pretty much irrelevant.

For instance even though the bulb might be rated for 50k hours or 20 years, I have already upgraded them twice within the past 3 years. The first ones were terrible and only produced about 100 lumens each, The new ones are super bright at 250 lumens each and use only 4 watts of power.

My guess is that way before these die off I will end up replacing them for whatever is the next evolution of LED. Who knows what that will be in a few years with COB LED's, OLED's and other types hitting the market.

thanks again for that tip.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2016 12:54 pm
Don't bother swapping the transformer. The wattage rating of a transformer is merely the maximum amount of power that the transformer is designed to deliver safely without overheating.

Sometimes a misunderstanding about current/power pops up: just because because a transformer can deliver 240 Watts it doesn't mean that it will . It's the load which determines how much current will flow and thus how puch power is drawn.

If you connect lamps totalling 40 Watts consumption to a transformer rated at 240 Watts, those lamps [the load] will only draw 40 Watts, thus the transformer will be only delivering 1/6 of its rated power, and will run nice and cool.

If you are using LEDS designed to work from halogen 12V AC transformers they are designed for a fairly wide voltage range say 10 to 17 volts and will cope fine with mains fluctuations and any increase in tranformer output voltage with a light load - such as an LED. Manufacturers have an annoying habit of specifying 12V dead, which is pretty silly.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2016 12:55 pm
@johnsalazar,
Quote:
lifespan is pretty much irrelevant
I've also found that to be the case. Thaks to Tes for

Quote:
will cope fine with mains fluctuations and any increase in tranformer output voltage with a light load

Remarkable creature Tes
0 Replies

johnsalazar

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2016 09:02 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thanks!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Financially beneficial to downgrade 12v transformers?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:51:03