Should "plotted in secret using encryption" be "plotted in secret by using encryption"?

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 08:43 pm
Because "by using encryption", terrorists can be in secret and plot. They don't plot "using encryption", a job that is usually done by computer engineers.

Context:

Edward Snowden ignited this debate when he revealed the extent of the US government’s mass surveillance. Privacy advocates were outraged. Tech companies like Apple and Google responded by increasing the levels of encryption in their products. Western governments hit back, saying spy programmes are needed to keep us all safe.

The potential threat of terrorism, plotted in secret using encryption, intensifies the debate. Prior to the November attacks in Paris, both the US and UK were planning new laws to strengthen their power against encryption. Now support for these laws has grown. The debate will come to a head in the next few months as politicians finalise the proposed legislation.

More:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22930542-400-how-2016s-war-on-encryption-will-change-your-way-of-life/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 439 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 09:03 pm
@oristarA,
The US government has the responsibility to keep us safe and secure. I'm not worried that they may accidentally access my emails, because they have other government departments to ensure my privacy. I'm also certain, they have no interest in me or my family and friends. They would only waste valuable time reading my emails. I don't say anything by email that I don't say in the open public.
0 Replies

FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 09:09 pm
@oristarA,
Yep.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2016 10:05 pm
@oristarA,
It is correct as written. The word "by" would be incorrect... that would imply that the encryption was the means by which the terrorism was being plotted.

oristarA

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 01:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is correct as written. The word "by" would be incorrect... that would imply that the encryption was the means by which the terrorism was being plotted.

Failed to understand you, Max.
Without encryption, to plot via Internet-involving techniques will leak soon.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should "plotted in secret using encryption" be "plotted in secret by using encryption"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:30:56