Latest Looks For Women In Their 30's & 40's. What Are Your Views?

Mar84

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:25 pm
My question to all of you out there, what department stores/stores have the latest looks for women in their 30's & 40's?
Is there any clothing that provides for sophisticated and successful women in their 30's & 40's without looking like a grandma or a young 18yr old clubbing girl?
I would love to hear all of your points of view

ehBeth

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:29 pm
@Mar84,
Are you suggesting grandmothers aren't sophisticated and successful women?
Mar84

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
@ehBeth No No not at all.... what I am trying to say is... can you tell me if the industry provides fashionable clothing for women in their 30's and 40's?
ehBeth

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:47 pm
@Mar84,
Fashionable clothing should never be a goal. Fashion is trendy. Fashion does not reflect individual taste and style.

People need to understand and develop their own styles. That is what will help them look appropriate, whether that look is sophisticated or otherwise.

There are literally hundreds of designers around the world who design and create beautiful and style-appropriate clothing for men and women.

___

Latest looks? that's never the right answer for a person who has their own style. There may be items within a current line that fit with someone's style, but it would be a mistake to simply adopt a season's looks.
Mar84

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I understand what you are saying and I completely agree with you but the point that I am trying to make is that age group do not have a huge selection when trying to find something work related etc..
I am not stating that people should not be themselves and follow main stream. My point is that there is not a large selection and I had wanted to see if people view that the same way as I do for people in their 30's and 40's
ossobuco

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:12 pm
@ehBeth,
You are so right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:22 pm
@Mar84,
There IS a huge selection out there - once people have identified their style they go and buy the pieces that work for them.

It is not difficult.

Let's say a woman has determined she's a Katherine Hepburn kinda gal. Crisp blouses, wide-legged pants, narrowly pleated skirts with narrow belts., cardigans, trim jackets, nothing highly ornamented. Off she goes to various stores/designers to put together the right pieces.

Another person may have more of a shift dress/cardigan style. Regardless of season, shift dresses and cardigans can be found.

It works the same way for men as for women. My late uncle determined that he was an ascot kind of guy when he wasn't at work (and sometimes at work also), so he wore shirts that accommodated ascots. He often wore vests instead of jackets. He knew his style and worked it for decades.
Mar84

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
can I ask? What country are you from?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 06:42 pm
Slightly but not entirely off topic, I'm an oldie who has lived through style ferment in many periods. The oddest one I remember was something about being an orange person..

I bought style mags for years and later on even read style online past your average magazine, though not too much of either, having other things to do.

At some point I moved on to not giving a squeak about what color goes with my skin or what rage was raging. I wear what I like, even if it is a bilious mustard yellow, because I like that color and it makes me happy to wear it. I can temper it if I want to in various ways.

For the office? There is something to be said for going along if you are working at a tight minded place, but even there you can do a Hepburn in a playful way.

Arguing against my point of view, a business partner got into her own color palette as she aged. Greying hair that was pretty. Sometimes grey or black clothes with a fair amount of red somewhere on the horizon, if only an under tee shirt that peeked past the grey. Her horse was grey too. Both of them beautiful.

30 to 40? that passes fast, think about your own sense of style.

As for stores? if you live in a big city, consider thrifts, as they tend to have more choices available.
ehBeth

Wed 23 Dec, 2015 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
pages like this

http://www.polyvore.com/androgynous_style/collection?id=1358550

are great for people working on developing their style

___

I happen to like tall low-heeled boots - have been wearing them for decades

I don't do patterns well, but I love stripes

I can filter for tall boots and then look at the pages with stripes

I pretty much know my look, but sometimes I need a new idea or two

like this ( I rarely think to wear necklaces unless I'm in costume)

http://www.polyvore.com/knee_high_boots_crossbody_bag/set?id=133588473
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Latest Looks For Women In Their 30's & 40's. What Are Your Views?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 01:46:30