What has caused some mathematicians to reassess their views on intelligent design ?

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:50 pm
@layman,
your world is not very friendly to hypotheses.Or are you from another dimension wherein all this has been "settled"??
layman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

your world is not very friendly to hypotheses.Or are you from another dimension wherein all this has been "settled"??

I LOVE hypotheses, eh? Some of them is ridiculous, some aint. But they're all great.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:54 pm
@layman,
Quote:
the proposition that time doesn't exist
where did I say that? I sometimes say **** for making an example of something but I dont recall saying that??

several of the elements in Alberts field equations imply "speed" or acceleration" an all of that requires something in which to prevent em from happening all at once. Id call that time.
layman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
where did I say that?

I didn't say you said that. Actually, I got my threads confused. I thought this was the one where the OP cited an article saying QM had PROVED that time doesn't exsit, and that's why I referred to it. My bad.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:19 pm
@layman,
k
So Im not ready for the home yet.
woo hoo
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
thats one of the membrane hypotheses
Eh?
I had to Google that one.
But all I found were biological references.

FBM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:26 pm
I apologize in advance:

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 02:05 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

farmerman wrote:
thats one of the membrane hypotheses
Eh?
I had to Google that one.
But all I found were biological references.

Here ya go, eh, Neo?:

Quote:
M-theory is a theory in physics that unifies all consistent versions of superstring theory....According to Witten, M should stand for “magic”, “mystery”, or “membrane” according to taste, and the true meaning of the title should be decided when a more fundamental formulation of the theory is known....

Intuitively, these objects look like sheets or membranes propagating through the eleven-dimensional spacetime. Shortly after this discovery, Michael Duff, Paul Howe, Takeo Inami, and Kellogg Stelle considered a particular compactification of eleven-dimensional supergravity with one of the dimensions curled up into a circle.[32] In this setting, one can imagine the membrane wrapping around the circular dimension. If the radius of the circle is sufficiently small, then this membrane looks just like a string in ten-dimensional spacetime. In fact, Duff and his collaborators showed that this construction reproduces exactly the strings appearing in type IIA superstring theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

"According to Witten, M should stand for “magic”, “mystery”, or “membrane” according to taste..."

Accordin to my tastes, it should stand for "moronic," eh?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
"nothingness" seems to need to be redefined
Man, seems apparent to me anyhow that nothingness would be the lack of anything at all, including space. Of course we can't entertain the concept in minds' eye

How at that critical moment it could have a diameter of zero and infinite mass, I dunno
dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:00 pm
@neologist,
Neo, very good q's

Quote:
....that it has always existed in one form or another? Expand. Contract. KABLAM!!...Etc. ?
Hangs together well, entails neither paradox nor contradiction

Quote:
... fair to ask . . . conscious? ... intelligent?
Yes Neo, would you care to apply for membership in our apodictical existential pantheism
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's all NATURE
Precisely, Cis
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:04 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
And, Father Time
Not "And" of course Foof but "Including"
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 01:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
that nothingness would be the lack of anything at all, including space.
....and time of course
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:56 am
Both Lawrence Krauss and Stephen Hawking have criticisms of philosophy's efficacy and notwithstanding argument from authority, their assertions have merit!

Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:22 am
@Chumly,
That's not an argument from authority.
Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:26 am
@Tuna,
What specifically do you assert is not and why?
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:32 am
@Chumly,
There is no widely accepted authority on the efficacy of philosophy.
parados

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:40 am
@anthony1312002,
Humans have decided to use mathematics to describe the electron. It doesn't make the electron a mathematical entity. It only means it follows certain rules that can be described with mathematics.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:53 am
@Tuna,
Are you an authority on what constitutes a so-called "widely accepted authority"? Why could it not be a somewhat less than a so-called "widely accepted authority"? Would you be willing to argue neither Lawrence Krauss or Stephen Hawking have no authority in the consideration at hand?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I used to love to give my students the requirements to compute all geophysical concepts in "furlongs per fortnight"

Clearly a case of computing by a geologist !