Does "pass it" here mean "allow it legally"?

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 09:29 am
It seems so. Because the speaker says "It's a good thing."
But my dictionary offers a different meaning:
pass it
[美国英语]搁着不管;不放在心上
(The Chinese above means: [American English] drop it; don't take it to heart)

Context:

LAS VEGAS, NV — Surrounded by monogrammed assault rifle parts, bulletproof vests, and rows and rows of guns, many of the tattooed, bearded vendors at the Las Vegas Gun Show had an unexpected stance on the state’s proposal for expanded background checks.
“Pass it,” Louie Leynes, an employee at Bargain Pawn in North Las Vegas, told ThinkProgress. “It’s a good thing.”
Standing behind an assortment of new and used firearms, Leynes and two of his coworkers explained why they support the Nevada Background Check Initiative, which would require private gun sellers to conduct background checks through a licensed firearm dealer. Too many times, they said, they’ve seen potential customers at gun shows back away from Bargain Pawn when they found out they would be subject to a background check, and then head over to a private gun seller instead.

More:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/12/14/3731535/this-way-to-the-gun-show/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 526 • Replies: 15

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 09:45 am
@oristarA,
Yes, a couple of collocations with "pass" are "pass a proposal" and "pass a law."
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 10:09 am
@FBM,
Thanks.

Another question if you'd like to answer it:
What is "living urg"?
Context:
Quote:
I just recently started drinking two cups before bed for the first time in my life and have noticed a significant difference the next day in mentality, strength, and sleeping is better. At first I had to pee but now I am use to it and wait till I wake up and it all comes out. Like it feels amazing like your body is replenishing itself while you sleep with the water you drink prior, so it is crystallizing the cells and gets you on track again. One of the most powerful regimens ever! I also noticed it elevates my hormones, so I am less crabby and angry the next day and feel more light and feminine! FINALLY i found my answer after like 23 years of living urg
MOre:
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/are-there-benefits-to-drinking-water-before-bedtime.html
FBM

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 10:16 am
@oristarA,
There's no "urg" that I know of. The link you provided doesn't contain that text, unless it's in the comments. I can't see the comments section.
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 12:03 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

There's no "urg" that I know of. The link you provided doesn't contain that text, unless it's in the comments. I can't see the comments section.

It's really there. I search "urg" in the page and show up:
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/are-there-benefits-to-drinking-water-before-bedtime.html
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 01:46 pm
Quote:
living urg

I have seen it; we have no means of knowing what the writer meant. It is not an English word.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 07:29 pm
@oristarA,
I can only guess that it has something to do with me being in Korea. I still can't see the comments section. Regardless, "urg" is not a word. Maybe it's a typo or the comment got cut off mid-word? In any event, if you tried to use "urg" in either writing or conversation with an English native speaker, you'd be met with confusion.
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 11:38 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I can only guess that it has something to do with me being in Korea. I still can't see the comments section.

Does Korea manipulate something of blocking information? I always think that South Korea is a democratic country with freedom of speech.
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 12:44 am
@oristarA,
Democratic, yes. Freedom of speech, not so much. Censorship survives here, online and elsewhere. The justification for it is the ongoing issue with the North. So there are some things that are filtered out online. I'm guessing that page triggered some sort of filter.
oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 05:58 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Democratic, yes. Freedom of speech, not so much. Censorship survives here, online and elsewhere. The justification for it is the ongoing issue with the North. So there are some things that are filtered out online. I'm guessing that page triggered some sort of filter.

The North? Have I read it correctly here? With its dictatorship and oppression of its people, the North can't actually called democratic. It would surprise me enormously that you work, or are working in the North Korea.
Are you really there?
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 06:02 am
@oristarA,
Laughing No, I'm in the South, but the South has ongoing issues with the North and uses them to justify censorship down here. It's against the law to say anything in support of the North's regime.
oristarA

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 06:31 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Laughing No, I'm in the South, but the South has ongoing issues with the North and uses them to justify censorship down here. It's against the law to say anything in support of the North's regime.

The South is cool, while the North is crappy. We have lots of Samsung products and online video of the South here, while that of the North is almost nowhere to find. The people of the South is lucky. It is understandable to cut off any bullshit from the North. But for the English information of the site, the South is too nervous and not right.
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:23 am
@oristarA,
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that censorship was the problem, but I don't know of any other reason why I can't read the comments.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 07:53 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
It is understandable to cut off any bullshit from the North.

"Cut off bullshit" is the definition of censorship. That's all any censorship does.

I don't think it is justified in a democratic society.
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 08:06 am
@maxdancona,
I would normally agree, but the S-N relations make this one exception. They're still technically at war. Earlier this year, a plot to assist the North with subversive actions in Seoul in the event that the North decided to attack was uncovered. The leader was a high-ranking member of the National Assembly, if I recall correctly, and he had a lot of co-conspirators. I think we'd both be surprised if we knew the real number of Northern sympathizers and spies in the South. If they were allowed to recruit openly, well, it would be just a matter of time before there would be no South Korea. I wish I could say that I'm exaggerating, but there have been nationwide uproars in the past few years that were based on rumors spread by Northern sympathizers.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 10:04 am
@oristarA,
It is impossible to know what it means. It could be a typo. It could be an acronym that has meaning to the commenter. It could be an abbreviation of urgent.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "pass it" here mean "allow it legally"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:16:44