Be Nice Offer A Seat

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
I have the good fortune to be able to travel each workday by public transportation. I always like to observe my fellow commuters and wonder why they do certain things they do. The other day I went onto a crowded subway with no room to sit, but being a healthy woman, I could stand as well as anyone. I noticed a large man with a cane having difficulty walking step onto the subway. No one offered him a seat.

When you travel by public transportation whether it is subway, train, bus or even commuter boat, do you ever offer your seat to anyone else? What types of people do you offer your seat to: the elderly, canes or crutches, pregnant women, blind, small children? Are there some groups normally offered seats that you see no reason they should sit over you? Why do you offer them your seats after all you worked hard all day and need a rest too? Are there times you are hesitate to offer, like is that lady just fat or pregnant? Will that old lady be insulted if I offer my seat? How do people react when you offer them a seat? Do you feel like the cat's meow because you are so caring? Have you been the recipient of seat offerings and how have you reacted?

I will fill you in on lots of public seat offerings after I see how the majority feel on this subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 760 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
I don't know where you live, but here in Toronto, there are reserved seats at the front of buses and streetcars for the elderly and disabled. Most people respect that, but there are always those who do not. I'm young, but have had some ankle problems, and once in a while, I have been offered a seat. It was nice. I've offered seats to elderly folk who either accept or politely decline. It's all been good really. The pregnant woman thing...I must admit, I'm a bit hesitant about that one, for fear of being offensive if they aren't actually with child. To be honest, regarding your 'cat's meow' comment, nah, I don't need that to bump myself up. Common courtesy is just that, common, and people can take it howver they want.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
Oh we have them. There are signs that say to give this seat up to elderly or disabled but sometimes people do not do this.

You're a good boy cav. What about a woman that is obviously pregnant?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 02:21 pm
Well, I would offer a seat, for sure.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
Hell no, I don't give the pregnant broad a seat. My chances of scoring are, what, zero? Wink

Nah, I get up all the time (though it's not much of an issue here, since the buses I ride are full of university undergrads who are younger and fitter than I am).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
i avoid public transportation, and usually get around by bicycle, in which case, i rarely offer my seat to anyone, as there isn't much room! :wink:

however, i would expect the "as needed" rule to apply, similar to going up and coming down stairs, etc. - those with the greatest need should be given the right of way, or afforded the available amenities.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
patiodog wrote:
Hell no, I don't give the pregnant broad a seat. My chances of scoring are, what, zero? Wink

And I thought chivlary was dead. Cool

No way are your chances zero...LOL

First of all, you KNOW she's sexually active.

Second, if you DO score there is zero chance you can make her pregnant with YOUR child.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
Well, I grew up with some very strict rules, given by my parents: always to great ... and to give a seat to women and elder citizens were on top.

I'm older now myself, but still greet and of course give others a seat. (The ladder is still quite common, as I noticed in e.g. Berlin, London, Paris, Manchester ....)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:08 pm
I try to get up and offer my seat to the elderly, disabled or pregnant. I don't, however, get up if there are other seats available nearby. Some people are grateful, some aren't, some choose to ignore the gesture (I suppose they don't want to be thought of as old or different or whatever). Since I can't read minds I offer and see what happens.

There are seats reserved for the elderly and handicapped but sometimes they are taken by, well, the elderly and handicapped. The area I live in has a number of elderly Irish and Russian folk so there aren't always seats for all of them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:48 pm
I almost never use public trans, but when I have, I offer to the elderly, pregnant, and handicapped.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:59 pm
I remember riding the subway in Madrid where they had a seat reserved for veterans of the Spanish Civil War. There were a lot of disabled veterans in that city.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
I don't use public transportation much any more--unless you count airplanes and terminal buses where the physically impaired are tenderly loaded early (but unloaded last of all).

In my experience with walkers, crutches and canes (seven years, on and off) most people have fallen out of the habit of helping the helpless. Women over thirty are much more helpful than younger women and most men. The exception here is men over sixty.

I have no qualms about asking for help when I need it. I've noticed that children are delighted to help--they've noticed that I'm not physically agile, but haven't wanted to intrude.

One of my fond library memories is of a brother and sister, about eight and nine years old. I appealed for help to reach a book from the bottom shelf and they accompanied me through the stacks, carrying my books and anxious to retrive more.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:57 am
That's a sweet story Noddy. Here is my stories. In Boston we have 4 different subway lines, buses, trains and commuter boats. I can vouch for the subways and trains as I have traveled most frequently on those.

Once evening heading home on the train, I hurried and got on the train. It was full, but managed to walk all the way down to the last car and secured a seat. It was a seat where there were two seats facing each other with two places to sit on each. The seat across from where I was sitting was empty except for some woman's bag. Just as the train was about to leave, another woman came running on, obviously just making the train. She politely asked the woman if she could have the seat next to her. The woman grumbling rudely removed her bag. Being the smart a** I am I could not refuse to keep my mouth shut. So I said, "I guess it's more important that her bag is comfortable." At that the rude woman picked up her bag and rudely pushed by us, swearing under her breath. I had a great laugh at that.

During my two pregnancies, on the subways, I found people pretty nice and willing to give up their seats except for one line. Unfortunately this is the worst line for some one who does not have good balance especially pregnant women as they lose their sense of balance as they get larger. This line twists and turns, etc. Luckily I did not have to take this line for very long.

On the other subway, I found it rare for some one not to offer their seat. However, businessmen were least likely to offer. I even had one occasion where I woman ran in the subway car and held a seat for me! However, I also had an instant where I had a toddler with me and I was pregnant. Several people just sat and hid their faces in books or newspapers - it was obvious that they saw me, but didn't want to give up their seat. One man a bit of a distance away did offer his seat and before I could get to it another man sat down in it. Again, being a smart a**, I said loudly, I guess being pregnant and having a toddler does not qualify some one to get a seat offered. Immediately several people suddenly "saw" me and offered them up. Shame can do wonders.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Be Nice Offer A Seat
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 04:15:58