"there will not be one stone resting on another in you"?

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 06:31 am
Does "there will not be one stone resting on another in you" mean "you will not be buried in a grave, rather, you will lay exposed under the sun"?

Context:

[kjv] For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side,
[bbe] For the time will come when your attackers will put a wall round you, and come all round you and keep you in on every side,

[kjv] And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.
[bbe] And will make you level with the earth, and your children with you; and there will not be one stone resting on another in you, because you did not see that it was your day of mercy.

-Luke 19:43-44
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 341 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 06:35 am
@oristarA,
I think it's hyperbole about how low the person will be brought down. So low that every little part of him will be level with the ground. In some parts of the OT, "stones" is a euphemism for testicles, but I don't think that's it here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 06:56 am
@oristarA,
That "[bbe] means Bible in Basic English- "[kjv]" is the King James Version

The New International Version [NIV] says: They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.

(In Latin: "... et non relinquent in te lapidem super lapidem eo quod non cognoveris tempus visitationis tuae eo quod non cognoveris tempus visitationis tuae.")
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 07:14 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I think it's hyperbole about how low the person will be brought down. So low that every little part of him will be level with the ground. In some parts of the OT, "stones" is a euphemism for testicles, but I don't think that's it here.

Thanks.
The use of "in" (" in you") is very confusing to me. What does it mean?
FBM

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 07:15 am
@oristarA,
Hell if I know. Wink But I think Walter's post is helpful. The KJV uses a lot of really strange language.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "there will not be one stone resting on another in you"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:26:27