"The model represents concepts as simple programs"?

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 10:27 am
Does "The model represents concepts as simple programs" mean "The model describes concepts to simple computational programs"?

Context:

Human-level concept learning through probabilistic program induction

People learning new concepts can often generalize successfully from just a single example,yet machine learning algorithms typically require tens or hundreds of examples to perform with similar accuracy. People can also use learned concepts in richer ways than conventional algorithms—for action, imagination, and explanation. We present a computational model that captures these human learning abilities for a large class of simple visual concepts: handwritten characters from the world’s alphabets. The model represents concepts as simple programs that best explain observed examples under a Bayesian criterion. On a challenging one-shot classification task, the model achieves human-level performance while outperforming recent deep learning approaches. We also present several “visual Turing tests” probing the model’s creative generalization abilities,which in many cases are indistinguishable from human behavior.

More:
http://cdn1.almosthuman.cn/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Human-level-concept-learning-through-probabilistic-program-induction.pdf
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 710 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 05:18 am
No, it does not necessarily refer to a computational program. The clue here is "Turing test," which is a standard which says that an artificial intelligence is only successful if it can lead a human to believe that he or she is dealing with another human. (I personally consider that standard to be absurd, in that it ignores the meaning of artificial.) So in this case, concept refers to the manner in which the artificial intelligence is programmed to recognize and respond to a pattern based not on statistical frequency of appearance, but on a "degree of belief" basis (Bayesian). I have no idea how one would program an artificial intelligence program to have a "degree of belief," so at that point the abstract has lost me.
oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 07:26 am
@Setanta,
Cool.
Grammatically, does "represents concepts as simple programs" mean "represents concepts that function as simple programs"?
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 07:28 am
The text says represents, not presents. I don't intend to answer questions such as that without context.
oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 08:47 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The text says represents, not presents. I don't intend to answer questions such as that without context.

Please reread my reply. I did use "represents".
FBM

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 07:53 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Cool.
Grammatically, does "represents concepts as simple programs" mean "represents concepts that function as simple programs"?

I think so.
Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2015 07:56 pm
@oristarA,
You didn't happen to edit that after you read my reply, did you?
oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 02:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You didn't happen to edit that after you read my reply, did you?

I immediately edited it after posting. It seems now that you just replied during my editing and an hours or so later I checked out the replies and found the awkward situation.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2015 02:21 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Cool.

I think so.

Cool.
Thanks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "The model represents concepts as simple programs"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:39:13