E-sports. Sport or no?

RyanO45

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 09:39 am
Being a League of Legends fanboy I may as well talk a about a topic that many people may disagree on if they don't play League or any game like it in general that relates to this topic. I'm talking about e-sports (the title said that anyways but I may as well add it in anyways).
People are angered by this when huge broadcasting channels like BBC and ESPN televised games like the formerly mentioned League of Legends on BBC or Heroes of the Storm on ESPN.
There are many opinions on E-sports. Some say it should be a thing. Some people rely on the industry such as the casters. Some people even threaten these companies for broadcasting games on their channels when they're looking for news or "actual sports" but what is an actual sport? What defines it?
There is no real definition for a sport. Most people say a sport is an activity that can be played competitively outside but the International Olympic Committee or IOC for short considers Chess as a sport. Sports aren't all about physical game. It's also about mental game. How smart you are and how fast you can make decisions. In a game like League of Legends, lots of strategy is involved for things like when to CS, when to push, when to gank, when to freeze, jungle routes, item builds and etc. There's a lot of things you have to manage in-game and thinking on the fly also applies in other sports. If you're in a game of football/soccer and a player is closing in on you, what do you do? If you said pass the ball to a team mate, you're correct. Most people (including myself. At least I'm being honest), would just rush right pass them into the rest of their team. The ability to think fast is key in many sports. Coaches look for not only fit players but also smart ones that can think fast and execute plans easily.
There's another side I haven't touched on much yet. The physical side. Professional gamers have to scrim (play against other teams on free time) almost 10 hours a day which is really exhausting when you're trying to improve and you have to play your best constantly for all those scrims. Think about how many clicks and key presses are in one game and a normal game is about 30-50 minutes at the competitive level. Times that by 20 and you'll see how much effort these players put in.
In my opinion, E-sports is a sport. A sport that many love and hate due to it being a game but that's just the nature of playing games. The amount of effort players put in to any sport is insane so props to them and for any haters of e-sports, how many of you thought about all of these things above or had no clue what I was talking about?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:13 am
@RyanO45,
RyanO45 wrote:
The amount of effort players put in to any sport is insane so props to them and for any haters of e-sports, how many of you thought about all of these things above or had no clue what I was talking about?

I don't consider it a sport, but I don't consider chess a sport either (and I like chess). I think it's in the eye of the beholder, much like art.
RyanO45

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 09:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
I see what you're trying to say. I don't like any form of art except music. It's the only one I'm good at lol.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » E-sports. Sport or no?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:27:17