oversight, on (i) technologies...(ii)...(iii)...?

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 10:23 am
Does the grammatical structure "oversight, on (i) technologies...(ii)...(iii)..." refer to "oversight on (i) technologies...and oversight on (ii)...and oversight on (iii)..."?

Context:

1. Basic and Preclinical Research. Intensive basic and preclinical research is clearly needed and should proceed, subject to appropriate legal and ethical rules and oversight, on (i) technologies for editing genetic sequences in human cells, (ii) the potential benefits and risks of proposed clinical uses and (iii) understanding the biology of human embryos and germ line cells. If, in the process of research, early human embryos or germ line cells undergo gene editing, the modified cells should not be used to establish a pregnancy.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/all-gene-editing-research-should-proceed-cautiously-scientists-conclude1/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 321 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 11:08 am
Yes. Is that not clear?

oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Yes. Is that not clear?

Thanks.
But I got several problems in understanding the sentence. So I have to solve them ONE BY ONE. Now one of the problems is solved. The remaining problems:
1) "should proceed"- proceed what? "should continue (the intensive basic and preclinical research )"?
2) "Subject to (subordinate to) rules" can be easily understood. But subject to oversight? Oversight her should mean "management by overseeing the performance or operation of a person or group"?

The sentence:
Intensive basic and preclinical research is clearly needed and should proceed, subject to appropriate legal and ethical rules and oversight
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:33 am
60 views.
No one would like to answer the above question?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 08:38 am
Ori some of us have lives outside of A2k!!! It is bad manners to aggressively demand answers., and may dissuade people from answering.

However...

1) Basic and Preclinical Research. Intensive basic and preclinical research is clearly needed and should proceed, subject to appropriate legal and ethical rules and oversight, on

(i) technologies for editing genetic sequences in human cells,

(ii) the potential benefits and risks of proposed clinical uses and

(iii) understanding the biology of human embryos and germ line cells.

If, in the process of research, early human embryos or germ line cells undergo gene editing, the modified cells should not be used to establish a pregnancy.

2) Yes. Legal and ethical rules, and [legal and ethical] oversight.

oristarA

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 09:38 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Cool.
Thank you Tes.
Christmas is coming. Merry Christmas to all.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 09:57 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Merry Christmas to all.

Thank you, and sorry I was angry before.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » oversight, on (i) technologies...(ii)...(iii)...?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:22:40