Red Hat Society

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:55 pm
"When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in ships and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings ..."

- Jenny Joseph

Does anyone belong to the Red Hat Society? A friend wants to drag me to a get-together on Saturday to find out what it's all about. She says it looks like fun 'cause it's frivolous and silly, but I dunno ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,428 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:18 pm
Hi mckenzie --

I've read about this group several times, and have considered going to one of their get-togethers... I believe it's for women over 50??

As I remember, anyone can start a local chapter. The only requirement is to go out, as a group, to a public restaurant, wearing a red hat and a purple dress/sweater/whatever.

It sounds like a good way to meet other women who are interested in aging gracefully.

I'll be anxious to hear about your adventure, should you decide to go!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:26 pm
The Red Hat Ladies have had their luncheons at my hotel(s) for at least five years.....They're a great bunch!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:37 pm
It's funny, last week I cut out a newspaper article about one of the local chapters... The subtitle is "the Ladies have all done the 'mission' thing; their duty now is fun with friends"... I love it.

According to the article anyone can join, but the ones younger than 50 are supposed to wear lavender and pink! Older, they get to wear the red hat and purple outfit!

That's great that they come to your hotel, Rae. I'll bet they're fun.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:42 pm
They are a hoot, Piffka! And I swear, the purple outfits and red hats give them power.....they are unstoppable when they get together!

They are one collective, giving heart.....The groups in our county do a lot for underprivileged children.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:53 pm
According to this article these ladies get together for having fun... I didn't see anything about missions for children or anyone else, though I'm sure every one of these women has been active in various giving organizations for decades. They sound like they get together for tea parties and to wear their hats. Their official instrument, it says, is a kazoo. Silly but endearing.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:58 pm
Wow! I'd forgotten about the kazoos! lol

The two groups I know are charity-focused. Not sure what the 'standard' is.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:08 pm
Having been in various charitable organizations most of my life, starting with the junior league, I'd think one without a focus would be wonderful. There are 5,865 chapters in 13 countries... with more groups forming all the time.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:14 pm
Check out their website... redhatsociety.com

Here's their "mission statement":

The Red Hat Society calls itself a "disorganization", and we are proud of our lack of rules and by-laws. We are all helping to develop an enormous "nurturing network" for women over 50 , by joining red-gloved hands and spreading the joy and companionship we are finding within and among the chapters. We have also discovered a "mission" of sorts: to gain higher visibility for women in our age group and to reshape the way we are viewed by today's culture. We are all familiar with militant groups of the past, which stridently sought to achieve their agendas. Well, we are decidedly UN-strident, but we hope to advance our agenda with good humor and laughter. If we do not join together under the banner of The Red Hat Society, but rather remain isolated, unconnected groups, that will not happen. Therefore we are working to build a disorganization within which we can all connect – and eventually take over the world!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:16 pm
Nifty!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:23 pm
If you can, next time they come in for their luncheon, ask them about their group. I love the phrase "building a disorganization."
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:23 pm
I will make a point of it!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:40 pm
Oh, some positive feedback. Maybe she won't have to drag me kicking and screaming after all. After I posted, I searched for their website. It does look like fun, doesn't it? There are two chapters here and this is a get-together for a third.

Piffka, did you look at the pictures of their convention? What a hoot!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:43 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Let us know when you join, mckenzie!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 06:59 pm
When you are 50 you can do and say what ever you want that is what a friend of mine always says and I must admit to more boldness these days. The Red Hat Society sounds very cool I am going to see if the have a chapter in Fort Worth.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:02 pm
Cool beans, Joanne!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:06 pm
Good gawd. If turning 50 has the same boldness-intensifying effect that turning 40 did, i better start warning people now. (i've got a purple sweater on now, just bought a new purple winter coat, and have a bunch of red hats - i am READY - now i just need a few more birthdays)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:12 pm
You go girl!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:23 pm
I can't wait till they take over the world! In fact, I wish they'd hurry up and do it. Time's a-wastin'!

Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:41 pm
mckenzie

Go for it - and let us know how you go! Are they trying to grow old gracefully, or disgracefully (I like the sound of that more!)

I looked them up and there's a chapter not too far from me. I already have the wardrobe! Wheeeee!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Red Hat Society
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:26:53