Can you get this sentence at first sight? It seems confusing to me

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 10:52 am
1) Does "draw" mean "finish a game with an equal number of points, goals, etc"?
2) Does "away record" mean "a record of being absent"?

Context:
Olympiakos need only draw, but will carry to Anfield one of the poorest
away records in the competition. (an example from Oxford dict)

--------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 20
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 11:18 am
@oristarA,
1) Yes. "Draw" means to "end a game in a tied score."

2) "Away record" means "a record of games played in stadiums other than one's own."
mark noble

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 11:28 am
@oristarA,
Firstly - I am so bored I Am on a2k.
2ndly I Am answering this.

Teams play for points - They play other teams from locations, not identical to their own - So, IF I PLAY FOR AFRICA AGAINST NEPAL - IN AFRICA - THIS IS A """""HOME-GAME""""" FOR ME, BECAUSE AFRICA IS MY HOME AND MY TEAM.
IF I REVERSE THE FIXTURE AND MY AFRICAN TEAM PLAY THE GAME IN NEPAL (china-permitting) (let's tell it as it is XI). THEN WE ARE AWAY FROM AFRICA AND IN NEPAL/.........
IF NEPAL WAS MY TEAM AND HOME I would be worried like fk.
ANYWAY - IF AFRICA AND NEPAL (Where my friend went recently, got food poisoning and has a decent memory of indigenous sherpas, not stealing his wallet and returning him to that (forget its name) SCARIEST airport on earth - Maybe it was tibet.....
Same thing----
SO - TIBET ARE PLAYING NICARAGUA at 'Australian' rules football. The score is 27.0 to the homeside - The africans go berserk, because they don't understand why their team are no longer in my weird story - The Tibetans are furious - They thought that they were in the himalayas, but NO - They are in central america, avoiding the cartels, mosquitos and El Nino.
Neverless - They fret not, all hop on a plane (That isn't 50 mins ahead of Putins') And fly home via ......... Antartica.
All is well, and the princess lives forever - The End...!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:24 pm
@mark noble,
But Mark gotta givya credit
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thanks for that, Infra. Here am I, an old guy, still learning a word or two
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:46 pm
Well, I've picked up some specialized Brit speak while keeping up with Premier League Football.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 01:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Premier League Football
Yea Infra I'd look it up but this morning Mac/Apple has deprived me of my tabs
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 05:27 am
I get the sentence at first sight, it's not at all confusing.

Olympiakos only need a point to qualify for the next stage, but their next match is at Anfield and their away form is the worst in the group.

oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 07:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I get the sentence at first sight, it's not at all confusing.

Olympiakos only need a point to qualify for the next stage, but their next match is at Anfield and their away form is the worst in the group.

Thanks.
What is "away form"? Away game?

BTW, do you think the following sentence sounds native to English speakers?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 08:18 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
What is "away form"? Away game?
'Away form' is the form of a football team playing away - when they play on their own ground, it would be the 'home form'. - 'Form' is here used to describe the team's/the players' performing during the match. And many teams perform worse away than at home.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 08:21 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
BTW, do you think the following sentence sounds native to English speakers?
Well, izzy is a native of England and most certainly a native English speaker as well.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 09:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you Walter.
I often hear from books that say German are well disciplined: when into deep night you find a lonely man waiting for a green light at a crossing and there are no other people around the deserted streets, this man must be a German.

Is it true?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 09:47 am
@oristarA,
To the Germans, jaywalking is an unknown concept.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 09:53 am
@InfraBlue,
Same here. The pedestrian has right of way regardless of what the lights say.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 09:58 am
Around here pedestrians have to wait for the walk sign, and even then most drivers regard yielding to them as optional.
oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 10:02 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Thank you Infra.
Would you like to give your grammatical opinion on what I has written, because I am not sure its fluency:
I often hear from books that say German are well disciplined: when into deep night you find a lonely man waiting for a green light at a crossing and there are no other people around the deserted streets, this man must be a German.
oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Same here. The pedestrian has right of way regardless of what the lights say.

Wow! British pedestrian is King (Queen). Wink
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 10:05 am
@InfraBlue,
Over here drivers are obliged to stop at a zebra crossing if someone is waiting even if there's no lights. Like in Abbey Road.

http://uncleartmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/abbey-road-beatles.jpg

Ok that's no good, but in this one you can see there's no lights.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/sites/default/files/news/main_image/Abbey-Road---Front-Page.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 10:30 am
@oristarA,
Well, it depends on the kind of street, the traffic there and who is waiting. (I disregard - sometimes! - those lights at night or when no children are around.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 04:12 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Thank you Infra.
Would you like to give your grammatical opinion on what I have written, because I am not sure about its fluency:
I often hear from books that say Germans are well disciplined: when into deep night you find a lonely man waiting for a green light at a crossing and there are no other people around the deserted streets, this man must be a German.

It is grammatical, but in terms of fluency, it betrays a writer who is a non-native speaker of English.

1. Forums
  2. » Can you get this sentence at first sight? It seems confusing to me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:26:43