Does "within genders" mean "within people of same sex"?

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:06 pm

Context:

Alexandra Kautzky-Willer, head of the Gender Medicine Unit at the Medical University of Vienna in Austria, agrees that things aren’t so simple. “There are differences between men and women when you look in large groups, and these are important for diagnosis and treatment,” she says. “But there are always more differences within genders. We always need to look at culture, environment, education and a person’s role in society,” she says.

MOre:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28582-scans-prove-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 327 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:14 pm
@oristarA,
she means that the medical differences WITHIN a single sex are greater than the medical differences that exist BETWEEN the sexes
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:15 pm
@oristarA,
It means that if you only look at brains of biological females you will see a lot of differences among them. Likewise, if you only look at brains of biological males you will see a lot of differences among them.

Now for the obligatory unsolicited opinion-- this article is non-scientific crap.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
this article is non-scientific crap.

Well, New Scientist is a popular science journal. I have seen articles about subjects I am knowledegeable about which I found somewhat over simplified, and I have seen some articles about what I call quantum woo-woo. I would be interested to know: what, in your opinion, makes the article crap?

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:38 pm
Thank you guys..

BTW, is "the words sound completely same" grammatically correct?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:50 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
is "the words sound completely same" grammatically correct?

No. Where did you see it?
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:10 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
is "the words sound completely same" grammatically correct?

No. Where did you see it?

Thanks.
Is "(the two things) sound completely same" grammatically correct?

I just wonder whether the collocation of the three single words "sound completely same" is okay.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:41 pm
@oristarA,
We don't use 'same' in that way. We would say 'sound completely the same'
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "within genders" mean "within people of same sex"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:35:02