Vote for Change Tour seeks to swing some votes

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
George W. Bush and John Kerry aren't the only ones concentrating their efforts on swing states...

Quote:
The Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Jurassic 5, My Morning Jacket, R.E.M., Ben Harper, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, the Dixie Chicks, Jackson Browne, James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt are among the artists taking part in the Vote for Change Tour, which will hit key battleground states across the country in early October.

The tour, presented by MoveOn's political action committee and America Coming Together (ACT), will feature more than 20 bands and artists. With all proceeds benefiting ACT's voter education and mobilization efforts in battleground states, the Vote for Change Tour kicks off on October 1 and runs through October 8, according to MoveOn.org.

"We plan to do something never done before," the artist declaration on MoveOn's site says, "to concentrate our energies in the states where the election is expected to be closest."

Vote for Change, created by a partnership of artists four months ago, will stage approximately 34 concerts in 29 cities in nine states during the trek.

"A vote for change is a vote for a stronger, safer, healthier America," Dave Matthews said in a statement. "A vote for Bush is a vote for a divided, unstable, paranoid America. It is our duty to this beautiful land to let our voices be heard. That's the reason for the tour. That's why I'm doing it."

The format for the tour will be several concerts taking place in different cities on each night of the outing. Participating artists will be divided into six groups that will play together on each night.

Schweeet. Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 923 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040804/040804_votechange_hlrg_7a.hlarge.jpg

From left are Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard: Boyd Tinsley of the Dave Matthews Band, Jackson Browne; Martie Maguire of the Dixie Chicks, Steven Van Zandt from Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Dave Matthews, Bruce Springsteen, Emily Robison of the Dixie Chicks, Patti Scialfa of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, Bonnie Raitt, Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, John Mellencamp, Nick Harmer of Death Cab for Cutie and R.E.M's Mike Mills.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:17 am
Very good.
music topic:
But in my view makes only Bruce Springsteen good music, the other person makes either not good music or don´t know them.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
Go, Boss:

Quote:
Backstreets: You've supported a lot of causes over the years, but as political and socially conscious as a lot of your work has been, this is the first time you've really weighed in on electoral politics. So I guess the big question is, why now?

Bruce Springsteen: Basically, this is probably the most important election of my lifetime. I think that the government has drifted too far from American values. After 9/11, I was like everybody else -- I supported going into Afghanistan, and I felt tremendous unity in the country that I don't think I've ever felt exactly like that before. It was a moment of great sadness, but also tremendous possibility. And I think that was dashed when we jumped headlong into the Iraq war, which I never understood, and I talked about that on the road. I never understood how or why we really ended up there. We offered up the lives of the best of our young people under circumstances that have been discredited. I had to live through that when I was young myself, and for any of us that lived through the Vietnam War, it was just very devastating.

Along with that, the deficits, the squeezing of services like the after-school services for the kids who need it the most, the big windfall tax cuts, the division of wealth that has threatened our connection to one another over the past 20 years that is increasingÂ…. these are things that as the election time neared -- I couldn't really keep true to the ideas that I'd written about for 30 years without weighing in on this one.

I don't think I've seen anything like it before in my lifetime. I think that the freedoms that we've taken for granted -- I spoke about this on the road a little bit, too -- they are slowly being eroded. In the past I've gotten involved in a lot of grassroots organizations that sort of expressed my views, and where I thought I could be of some small help. I guess I've been doing that for about 20 years, and that was a way that I was very happy to work. I always believed that it was good for the artist to remain distant from the seat of power, to retain your independent voice, and that was the way I liked to conduct my work. But the stakes in this one are just too high. I felt like, given what I've written about, the things that I've wanted our band to stand for over the years, it's just too big a battle to lay out of.
0 Replies