What is Morality? Is it Real?

layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:24 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
"It's wrong to commit murder" is true for everyone?

Yeah, Tuna, because it's tautological. But looky here:

Quote:
“There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.” (Ambrose Bierce)

FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:27 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

I said "in the final analysis." What difference in behavior do you think we'd see between a relativist and a nihilist?

Seems to me that a relativist would accept and abide by the conventions of the society s/he is in. A nihilist wouldn't feel compelled (morally) to abide by any convention. S/he would probably be more likely to do whatever s/he could get away with.
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:32 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

Quote:
Yes, and that sends us off on a search for an ultimate, objective moral imperative or standard. I haven't been able to find one. I've only been able to find conventional ones. Do you know of an objective one?

Whatever the outcome of that search may be, don't you still feel that "It's wrong to commit murder" is true for everyone?

That leads to a defense of relativism, in that we'd have to wrestle over the definition of "murder" there. Some people consider abortions and capital punishment to be murder. Soldiers kill in the name of country and duty, often non-combatants, too. Vegans go around chanting "Meat is Murder," I'm told.
Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:39 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Yeah, Tuna, because it's tautological. But looky here:

For a nihilist "It's wrong to commit murder" isn't a true statement. It's not truth-apt because it's nonsense.

The relativist says "What I call murder is wrong for me. It's not wrong for everyone."

Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:45 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Seems to me that a relativist would accept and abide by the conventions of the society s/he is in. A nihilist wouldn't feel compelled (morally) to abide by any convention. S/he would probably be more likely to do whatever s/he could get away with.

True. But what magic is there in the borders of society that obligate the relativist?
Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:53 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Some people consider abortions and capital punishment to be murder.
Soldiers kill in the name of country and duty, often non-combatants, too. Vegans go around chanting "Meat is Murder," I'm told

Exactly. A relativist will have to say all of the above are right or wrong depending on point of view. A moral realist can put up a fight to defend meat or whatever without being inconsistent. A moral relativist is going to have a problem there.
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:56 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

Quote:

True. But what magic is there in the borders of society that obligate the relativist?

The law. Threat of punishment. Or simple ostracism and economic failure.
FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:58 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

Quote:
Some people consider abortions and capital punishment to be murder.
Soldiers kill in the name of country and duty, often non-combatants, too. Vegans go around chanting "Meat is Murder," I'm told

Exactly. A relativist will have to say all of the above are right or wrong depending on point of view. A moral realist can put up a fight to defend meat or whatever without being inconsistent. A moral relativist is going to have a problem there.

But the moral realist needs to demonstrate that here is an objective basis for morality. I don't know any that have been proposed that have also been universally accepted as definitive. Religions try, but they keep contradicting each other, so...??
Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:01 pm
@FBM,
Quote:

But those are the same things that would limit the behavior of a nihilist (who would do what he or she can get away with.) That's why I say that in the end, in terms of behavior, relativism and nihilism amount to the same thing.
Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:13 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
But the moral realist needs to demonstrate that here is an objective basis for morality.

Not really. The realist can say things like: "I strongly feel that torture is morally wrong.".

Does the relativist really have a justification for moral statements? If it's just "Torture is wrong because everybody around me says so.", that's not really morality is it?

FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:06 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

Quote:

But those are the same things that would limit the behavior of a nihilist (who would do what he or she can get away with.) That's why I say that in the end, in terms of behavior, relativism and nihilism amount to the same thing.

The relativist does actually believe that the conventions have moral potency, and unless that moral relativist is also an immoral person, s/he would abide by the code just because it's the right/good thing to do. That person need not worry about punishment, because that person happily abides by the laws.

The nihilist, I think, would be the one motivated to obey only by fear of punishment. The good, for that person, would be whatever s/he could get away with.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:10 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

Quote:
But the moral realist needs to demonstrate that here is an objective basis for morality.

Not really. The realist can say things like: "I strongly feel that torture is morally wrong.".

And someone says elsewise. How do we decide who is right?

Quote:
Does the relativist really have a justification for moral statements? If it's just "Torture is wrong because everybody around me says so.", that's not really morality is it?

Why isn't it?

If they disagree strongly enough about society's conventions, then they can either set out to change them, like by starting a campaign, writing books, etc. Or they may move to a society that has more agreeable conventions.
Tuna

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:34 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
And someone says elsewise. How do we decide who is right?

The point a moral realist makes is that if we disagree, one of us is right. This is in keeping with my experience. I see how fear, anger, and greed can blind me. I feel lure of wanting to say the ends justify the means. What I seem to wake up to (when I do get a clue) is truths. So I'm a working moral realist. My philosophy doesn't justify this. It's challenged by it.

But aren't you the same?

Quote:
Why isn't it?

If they disagree strongly enough about society's conventions, then they can either set out to change them, like by starting a campaign, writing books, etc. Or they may move to a society that has more agreeable conventions.

If morality reduces to convention (which is in keeping with a nihilistic view) then there doesn't appear to me to be any feeling to it. Ultimately, the moral judge is the heart, not the mind.

On the second point, I'm not sure why a moral relativist would want to persuade others to change their minds. Why not just assume everyone is doing right?
layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:46 am
@Tuna,
Quote:
If morality reduces to convention (which is in keeping with a nihilistic view) then there doesn't appear to me to be any feeling to it. Ultimately, the moral judge is the heart, not the mind.

The video you posted did a good job of making this point, Tuna.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 12:57 am
@Tuna,
Quote:
For a nihilist "It's wrong to commit murder" isn't a true statement. It's not truth-apt because it's nonsense.

Sure it's wrong for a nihilist. The definition of "murder" is generally phrased in terms of "wrongfully causing the death of another human being." Sure, there's more, too, such as "with intent," etc. But it's wrong by definition, see. They will fry the nihilist's ass just as quick as mine. Wait, I am a nihilist.....
FBM

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:26 am
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:

The point a moral realist makes is that if we disagree, one of us is right. This is in keeping with my experience.

OK, but that doesn't address the question of how you figure out who is right. Also, have you never been on the sidelines of an argument regarding the morality of this or that, but thought that both interlocutors were wrong? I have. I think a moral realist must inevitably take recourse to some sort of third-party objective source of criteria for certainty.

In real situations, of course, it may come down to popularity or political power or tradition, but those things can not be a genuine substitute for logic.

Quote:
I see how fear, anger, and greed can blind me. I feel lure of wanting to say the ends justify the means. What I seem to wake up to (when I do get a clue) is truths. So I'm a working moral realist. My philosophy doesn't justify this. It's challenged by it.

But aren't you the same?

I'm not sure I understand this part well enough to respond to it. If you'd like to unpack it a bit, that would help me.

Quote:

In moral relativism, morality is reduced to convention, and therefore there are correct and incorrect answers to moral questions. The criteria exist. In moral nihilism, there are no correct or incorrect answers. There are no criteria by which to judge.

If a moral relativist is emotionally invested in family, local community, state or national identity, I can see how there would be a great deal of feeling in upholding that group's mores. An outsider who comes in and challenges them would be met with emotionally charged resisitence, I'd think.

Quote:
On the second point, I'm not sure why a moral relativist would want to persuade others to change their minds. Why not just assume everyone is doing right?

Because societies can't hold together like that. Group cohesion would be threatened if one could not trust his/her neighbor. Conformity is for the greater good of both the individual and the group. When circumstances change, as they are constantly doing, certain conventions may start doing more harm than good. It is at that point that it's in the interest of someone to speak up and expose the facts.
layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:40 am
A prominent psychologist was once asked if there was any act so despicable, so disgusting, so horrible that the average guy would just NEVER do it.

He said: "No, I don't think there is--as long as his peers approved of it, encouraged it, and praised him for it."

What's that tellya about morality, eh?

That's why those muslims give the highest praise and honors (not to mention promises of supernatural rewards) to suicide bombers--"martyrs," they call them.
Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:45 am
@layman,
Quote:
Sure it's wrong for a nihilist. The definition of "murder" is generally phrased in terms of "wrongfully causing the death of another human being." Sure, there's more, too, such as "with intent," etc. But it's wrong by definition, see. They will fry the nihilist's ass just as quick as mine. Wait, I am a nihilist.....

Well, ok. But you're equivocating a little. The nihilist doesn't believe any action is morally wrong.
layman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:48 am
@Tuna,
Well, if it aint wrong, then it aint murder, cancha see? So we're back where you started.
Tuna

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 08:13 am
@FBM,
Quote:
OK, but that doesn't address the question of how you figure out who is right. Also, have you never been on the sidelines of an argument regarding the morality of this or that, but thought that both interlocutors were wrong? I have. I think a moral realist must inevitably take recourse to some sort of third-party objective source of criteria for certainty.

In the case where you found two interlocutors were wrong, how did you decide that?

Quote:

Tuna wrote:
I see how fear, anger, and greed can blind me. I feel lure of wanting to say the ends justify the means. What I seem to wake up to (when I do get a clue) is truths. So I'm a working moral realist. My philosophy doesn't justify this. It's challenged by it.

But aren't you the same?

I'm not sure I understand this part well enough to respond to it. If you'd like to unpack it a bit, that would help me.

Think about little Huckleberry Finn who discovers moral truths. That's the character of moral realism. He doesn't believe he's discovered something that's only true for him. It's true for everyone. In this sense, it's objective. It's something anyone has the potential to realize.

We can go looking for the basis of his belief. Is it within him? Is it in the world? I say don't dismiss Huckleberry-like realizations because it conflicts with some particular theory of mind. Instead, why not make room in your theory for Huckleberry? Let theory proceed from things we directly experience. Morality is in that category (for me, anyway.)

Quote:
In moral relativism, morality is reduced to convention, and therefore there are correct and incorrect answers to moral questions. The criteria exist. In moral nihilism, there are no correct or incorrect answers. There are no criteria by which to judge.

If a moral relativist is emotionally invested in family, local community, state or national identity, I can see how there would be a great deal of feeling in upholding that group's mores. An outsider who comes in and challenges them would be met with emotionally charged resisitence, I'd think.

Imagine a spectrum with realism on one side and nihilism on the other. I range around through the spectrum depending on what I'm thinking about. I'm a relativist when I think about how brutal the Normans were. I'm a nihilist when I'm looking at Hubble photos. I'm a realist when my empathy is kicking in. I think getting stuck somewhere in the spectrum will require denying some aspect of being human.

0 Replies