Internalism

layman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:41 am
More from wiki:

Quote:
Scottish Common Sense Realism, is a school of philosophy...[which] emphasized man's innate ability to perceive common ideas and that this process is inherent in and interdependent with judgement. Common sense therefore, is the foundation of philosophical inquiry.

One central concern of the school was to defend "common sense" against philosophical paradox and scepticism. It argued that common-sense beliefs govern the lives and thoughts even of those who avow non-commonsensical beliefs and that matters of common sense are inherent to the acquisition of knowledge.

"If there are certain principles, as I think there are, which the constitution of our nature leads us to believe, and which we are under a necessity to take for granted in the common concerns of life, without being able to give a reason for them — these are what we call the principles of common sense; and what is manifestly contrary to them, is what we call absurd."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Common_Sense_Realism

So, what are they calling "absurd," there? In a word: Fresky, and his ilk.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:51 am
@layman,
Yea. Correspondence theory starts with a mind/world split.
layman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:53 am
@Tuna,
Quote:
Yea. Correspondence theory starts with a mind/world split

Well, OK, then! "Non-dualism" (monism) is just plumb wack, like, well, you know: Fresky.
Tuna

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:43 pm
@layman,
Anybody who's interested in philosophy is wack, layman. Fresco isn't unusual.
layman

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:47 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:

Well, Tuna, ya know, there's your every-day, run of the mill wack job, on the one hand, and them that is just plain "plumb wack," on the other.

Them that is plumb wack is just masochists beggin for a beatdown, I figure.
Tuna

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 01:21 pm
I don't know anybody on any of the music threads, so I'm putting this here.

0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:07 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Well, Tuna, ya know, there's your every-day, run of the mill wack job, on the one hand, and them that is just plain "plumb wack," on the other.

Them that is plumb wack is just masochists beggin for a beatdown, I figure.

wow...you're so tuff...internet person...good job on not being whack...sir?
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 02:49 am
@Tuna,
What are your thoughts on information theory and the mind/world split?
fresco

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 04:44 am
@Razzleg,
Good Q given the fact that 'information' is subject dependent.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 07:37 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

What are your thoughts on information theory and the mind/world split?

What is information theory? Could you explain? Or point me to resources?
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 09:28 am
A little note about how internalism/externalism relates to truth and direct realism:

When the average person expresses a desire to know the truth, or claims that in regard to X, we'll never know the truth, "truth" here is an object of knowledge, not a property of statements.

"Truth" means "the way the world actually is, as opposed to all the ways it could be"

Thinking of truth as a property of statements is red herring by and large. It's not that "true" never appears in a sentence in the role of a property. It's that these usages are making use of metaphor.

If truth has to do with actuality, then it's ontological and is used with an underlying assumption of direct realism: knowing the truth means knowing the actual.

So in a philosophical examination of truth, the nature of knowledge is central.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 10:49 am
@Tuna,
Funny how we can always pull a twist on some lines of reasoning...

You know the actual by living it. Whatever you think it is the actual is besides the point, but it is true you are thinking about what is the actual...truth is elusive but ever present. To deny it you must first raise it !
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:24 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
What twist are we pulling there?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:28 am
@Tuna,
Epistemology is irrelevant. Truth doesn't give a rats azz to what we think we know. Truth is not knowing...its being.
(and don't ask me to describe being much less agency, I don't care)
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 11:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Where there is no knowledge, there is only oblivion.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:20 pm
@Tuna,
Well I concede that, let me rephrase for precision...you need knowledge of experiencing not the correct classification and ordering of it, if not for your own niche needs...you stack in the mountain not against it.... Truth doesn't care for those. In fact epistemology is subjugated to ontology in spite of whatever it seeks...it will get back as much as it is fated to get back, period.
Tuna

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 12:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I agree. Epistemology and ontology are joined at the hip.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 02:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
. . .Truth doesn't give a rats azz to what we think we know. . .
In a nutshell.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:36 pm

Quote:
“What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms: in short, a sum of human relations which have been poetically and rhetorically intensified, transferred, and embellished…. Truths are illusions which we have forgotten are illusions” (Nietzsche)

Quote:
"All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." (same perv)
fresco

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2015 01:52 am
@layman,
:roll:Yet another 'pasting' for its own rhetorical sake!

What pity you don't actually understand its significance for your own hobby-horse!

1. Forums
  2. » Internalism
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:15:32