What does the Bible really teach?

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 05:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You didn't answer my questions.

There is a difference between joining a discussion and trying to flood a thread and thereby take over the discussion. What does or does not offend you is a matter if indifference to me.

Please answer my questions.
Do you mean this?
Setanta wrote:
Wait . . . is living for eternity supposed to be some kind of blessing? How does that work?
I'm sorry.
I mistakenly thought it a rhetorical question.
Well. Since you asked.
I don't know how it works, actually.
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 05:59 pm
@neologist,
Grr!
My phone posted the above before I was ready.

Making a Frankian guess here.
If we never got sick.
If we had no crime.
No war.

Imagine Imagine
Kind of like that.
Doesn't sound too bad. It could go on for a long time before I might want to check out.

Does that help?
Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 05:59 pm
@neologist,
Oh . . . so it's a crap shoot for you, huh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 06:00 pm
@neologist,
I suppose that's better, although it begs the question of where you would be in this wonderful environment. Personally, although i might enjoy a few centuries, were i in good health, eternity does not attract me.
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 06:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I suppose that's better, although it begs the question of where you would be in this wonderful environment. Personally, although i might enjoy a few centuries, were i in good health, eternity does not attract me.
So long as I controlled the on/off switch. . .
Or you, in your case.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 06:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
I meant "the god of this world" mentioned at 2 Corinthians 4:4. That's the god you eschew, right?

Because that's the god you describe.
Gwutzi

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 10:36 am
@neologist

its my lingo of saying "one who has to become"... that should be sufficient enough to know, what is to become i keep for myself for now Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 11:40 am
@neologist,
No. I'm describing the God portrayed in the Book of Revelation that gave Jesus Christ a revelation who, in turn, made it know to John through his angel.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 12:00 pm
Yeah, Neo is finding ways to avoid more questions all the time..
neologist

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 01:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
Blue refuses to acknowledge that the God who created life has no desire to take it away. Instead, he gives credence to the one Jesus identified as a murderer in John 8:44 and as ruler of the world in John 14:30.

It's his thing.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 01:49 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Blue refuses to acknowledge that the God who created life has no desire to take it away. Instead, he gives credence to the one Jesus identified as a murderer in John 8:44 and as ruler of the world in John 14:30.

It's his thing.

I'm not talking about the Book of John, I'm talking about the book of Revelation. There, God is going to send his angels to visit harrowing violence upon humankind. You say the God has no desire to take life, but he's going to do it none the less.
neologist

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 03:56 pm
@InfraBlue,

neologist wrote:

It's his thing.
InfraBlue wrote:
I'm not talking about the Book of John, I'm talking about the book of Revelation. There, God is going to send his angels to visit harrowing violence upon humankind. You say the God has no desire to take life, but he's going to do it none the less.
It's interesting that John wrote both Revelation and the Gospel bearing his name. Do you think he suffered a logical disconnect?
But, that's besides the point.
Can you think of any destroyed in the book of Revelation who were not allowed a chance to escape?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Can you think of any destroyed in the book of Revelation who were not allowed a chance to escape?

That does not negate the fact that the God is going to kill the vast majority of humankind according to the text.
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:13 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
It's interesting that John wrote both Revelation and the Gospel bearing his name.

How do you know that?
neologist

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
That does not negate the fact that the God is going to kill the vast majority of humankind according to the text.
Well, there is this command:
Quote:
Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. (Revelation 18:4)
That seems to be an opportunity to escape. Why might you not take it? So far as I can tell, it applies to everyone.
neologist

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:41 pm
@Setanta,
neologist wrote:
It's interesting that John wrote both Revelation and the Gospel bearing his name.
Setanta wrote:
How do you know that?
OK,
Educated guess. Based on the information I have at my disposal.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:44 pm
@neologist,
This, as well, does not negate the fact that the God is going to kill the vast majority of humankind according to the text.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:30 pm
@neologist,
What information is that? What education do you have that you're keeping from us?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:56 pm
To be more clear on this issue, check out this Wikipedia article. In that article itself, is the following paragraph under the rubric "Works."

Quote:
The authorship of some works attributed to the Evangelist has debated since the year 200 AD.[5][6] Some scholars do not even accept that the "Gospel of John" was written by an individual named "John" (Ἰωάννης or יוחנן). Nevertheless, the notion of "John the Evangelist" exists, and is usually thought of as the same as the Apostle John.

As i have pointed out many times over the last several years, all articles at Wikipedia which pertain to christianity are regularly edited. If you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see that that article was last edited on November 3rd of this year. Initially, edited articles were deleted altogether and replaced by the original text, until the vandals got smart, and carefully avoided unsubstantiated claims and contradictions within their own texts. It is always useful to look at the "Talk" tab which is found at the beginning of each article. The footnote number 5 in the quoted passage above simply refers to Eusebius of Caesarea. The footnote number 6 takes you to New Advent, the Catholic Encyclopedia, and this quotation from the Church History of Eusebius is given:

Quote:
"But Cerinthus by means of revelations which he pretended were written by a great Apostle falsely pretended to wonderful things, asserting that after the resurrection there would be an earthly kingdom"

It is difficult to avoid the possibility that those who claim that the gospel of John was actually written by an apostle named John, or that the Apocalypse (often called "Revelations") was written by the same author--for any other reason than wishful thinking. In terms of historiography, the claim is dubious at best, which is troubling when people try to make claims about divinely inspired, inerrant scripture. On the talk page of the article i have linked, for example, one editorial comment calling for the three articles to be merged (i.e., the articles on John the Apostle, John the Evangelist and John of Patmos) states that it is "unholy" not to do so.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts. There is no factual basis for the claim that John the Apostle and John the Evangelist are one and the same, or that John of Patmos is just a third name for the same individual. I acknowledge that, effectively, you are saying "I believe," rather than "I know."
neologist

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:59 pm
@Setanta,
Noted.
Don't let Frank see this.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:58:09