bi-polar superpower?

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 10:41 pm
Obama, elected to get America out of Iraq, was back, it seemed, at least in part because he had gotten out too quickly, too completely. The situation was linked as much to Bush’s inflammation of the region as it was to Obama’s desire to be well done with it. Nothing so well illustrated the extremes of America’s era of fear—of overreaction and overreach in the wake of 9/11 and of the ensuing self-doubt and risk aversion that followed.
Error begat error and America’s interests and those of our allies suffered, as did millions in the region buffeted by the fact that we had gone in twenty years from a bi-polar world to the costs of contending with a bi-polar superpower.

What does the last sentence "we had gone in twenty years from a bi-polar world to the costs of contending with a bi-polar superpower" mean here?

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 06:13 am
@PennyChan,
Bi-polar means centered around two positions (and can also mean a mental disorder). I believe the author is saying that 20 years ago the world was "bi-polar", divided into Eastern Communism and Western Democracies (although I'd argue that it was more like 30 years but maybe this is an older article or I have misinterpreted it). Today the "bi-polar superpower" alternates from aggressive over involvement to hands off non-involvement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 06:22 am
It is rather awkwardly phrased. The 20 years (or so) may refer to the period from the collapse of the Soviet Union (1991) to the present.
0 Replies

PennyChan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 06:21 pm
Many thanks! !
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » bi-polar superpower?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 10:36:28