What is the meaning of "scent said, Forever England"?

kathy79

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 06:51 pm
The paragraph below is an excerpt from the novel <When god was a rabbit>.
I don't understand the phrase " white stocks whose scent said, Forever England."
Is there any relation between white stocks and England? A kind of cultural reference? Or Is it just the author's personal opinion?

the excerpt:
We'd planned this small garden together, planned the perfumes, the colours, the pots of densely sown lavender, the larkspur, the lemon myrtle in the shade beneath the kitchen, the overflowing squares of voracious red peonies, and the rows of white stocks whose scent said, Forever England .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 598 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 07:12 pm
@kathy79,
All of the flowers in the garden are ones thought of as being found in English gardens (whether or not that is true). Stocks are flowers that have a very distinctive scent.

http://flowerona.com/2011/05/stock-a-wonderfully-fragrant-flower/

Quote:
I remember the first time I came across them was when I was working for a florist in London and one of the freelance florists was saying how much she loved the amazing fragrance that they have.

She described it as clove-like…and they really do smell like this spice.

As a plant, they’re very popular in cottage gardens and have been grown since Victorian times.

___

I'd consider it a cultural reference.
0 Replies