Should I have Life Insurance?

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:08 pm
I don't bring in any income since I am a stay-at-home mom. In the near future, though, I will probably go back to work.

Should I get life insurance now, later, or not at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 926 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:25 pm
If it is in the very near future, I would wait until I went back to work as many companies will provide you with life insurance where you can add additional coverage if necessary. This may cost you less than getting insurance on your own. The older you are of course the more expensive insurance is so if it is going to be a period of time, you need to look into this sooner.

Even if you are a stay-at-home mom and do not work, you should have a certain amount of life insurance. As morbid as it sounds, you need to consider the cost to your family if you should die. Say for instance you do die, your husband will need to pay for care of your child(ren). You need to take into consideration how much money that will cost until your children no longer need child care. Also, you need to consider the cost of a funeral.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:55 pm
I plan to live forever therefore life insurance is not neccesary.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 07:39 pm
Hi Linkat,

Yup, I looked into it. I still have a bunch of retirement money back from when I had a 'real job'. Even with tax, the amount should cover child-care for a while, and a funeral. That's why I thought/think I don't need it now. I think I'll wait 'til I get a job and hope that my future employer will offer a good plan.

Thanks.

~~~

Hi NickFun,

Well, I hope it works out...

Have you been to betterhumans.com ?

I'm interested in life extension (not that I really want to live a long time, I just don't want to age), but living forever - that's quite a goal.
0 Replies

Jwd703

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:55 pm
I agree with the information on having insurance to cover the costs of what your family will need if you aren't with them. Better than paying for life insurance to cover in look into a prepaid funeral plan and cemetary plan to take care of those needs it will save you money in the long run and it is something you and your spouse can both get taken care of.
0 Replies