The presidential candidates re the arts

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:13 am
https://news.artnet.com/people/presidential-candidates-arts-record-340493?google_editors_picks=true

I think the arts are important to our lives and that government support is a good thing. I understand others would think it either a waste of money or something to be attended to privately.

And you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 427 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:17 am
@ossobuco,
In Pa weve modified the standard school curricula to feature STEAM rather thn STEM programs (Where the "A" is obviously, the ARTS. This has been neglected since the 90's and we have a fairly ignorant mass of kids who are technologically savvy but with little sense of what to apply it all .
najmelliw

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:35 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

https://news.artnet.com/people/presidential-candidates-arts-record-340493?google_editors_picks=true

I think the arts are important to our lives and that government support is a good thing. I understand others would think it either a waste of money or something to be attended to privately.

And you?

Arts are vital for any society. Government support is vital. Government control disastrous. I'm always afraid the former becomes the latter though.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:36 am
@farmerman,
Glad that has been remedied!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:38 am
@najmelliw,
True, that control worry.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:39 am
@ossobuco,
Art and design (then that assumes some art history and history itslef) is slowly being restored into curricula that were severely stripped in favor of these AUTOMATON STEM programs. Very Sterile , no dreamers or designers . We have several design and Arts colleges that had reported they were doing a lot of remedial arts and Liberal Arts instructions to kids who were ignorant of concepts like the Rennaissance or Classical v Romantic music.
najmelliw

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 08:53 am
@farmerman,
I am a product of education in the early 90's. Can't say I was overwhelmed with a lot of art appreciation. The arts from the Renaissance were certainly touched upon, especially the dutch masters, part of our national heritage after all.

Where does modern art factor in though?
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2015 11:05 am
@najmelliw,
Im commenting locally . Specifically PENNSYLVANIA USA. I sat on an academic ed committee of the Commonwealth fdor several years in the late 1990's and early 200"s. Everyone was worried about getting the science and math right, but mostly at the expense of the liberal arts, including History , arts, etc.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The presidential candidates re the arts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:13:37