I ear the music from the speakers instead of from the air

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:06 am
When I listen to music, I hate hearing it from a specific point, that's why broken stereo really bothers me...
Usually, in a proper stereo, I get the illusion the music floats in the air. But lately, for some reason I can hear the position of the spears very clear. I haven't change anything. The stereo is not broken. My speakers work great.
I have two speakers on my desk from the right and left size of my main monitor. which is not very far from each other.
What can fix this? I thought maybe the position of the speakers. or maybe I need speakers from the back? (I'd rather not spend more money though).
I know it might be a weird question, but I have no idea who should I ask.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,379 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:17 am
@ShacharHarshuv,
Are you talking about a channel dropping out or does this happen with both channels are making sounds?

Quote:
I hate hearing it from a specific point,

Are you talking about the loss/collapse of the stereo image - meaning it sounds as though the music is coming from the center only (as opposed from L or R only)?

Keep both speakers equidistant apart and the same distance from your ears.

What has changed in your set-up since you started to notice this problem?

What media is the source of the music (When you have the problem) to which your listening?

Is it all music or just from certain sources?

Listen to a CD on home stereo and then use your computer. Do you still notice the problem?

Have you changed the wiring...reversed L and R speaker wires?

Are you experiencing this phenomenon also with your home stereo?

How is your hearing (re directionality of room sounds)?

What are you smoking?

My guess it that either there's a possible phase change or polarity change of your speakers. when you reverse the polarity (L and R) wires, see what happens to the effect?

If there's differences in the source material (proper sounding using a CD vs other media source) there's something in the source material of a few of what you're playing and you just started to notice it for the first time.
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:59 am
@Ragman,
If you have the ability to adjust the speaker balance, play a problematic music piece..and then switch the balance to all on the right side and then all left. Then set the balance control in the middle. Now, what happens to the problem?
ShacharHarshuv

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:49 am
@Ragman,
OK, I've tried some things. I don't know why suddenly it bothered me, maybe I started be more observation or my hearing got better somehow, but I think he problem is the distance between the speakers. I try taking them to the extreme edges of the table and it sounded better. I still think it's not the best. What is the best way to position the speakers in relation to me? what distance should they be...? (maybe it is relatively to my distance from them?)
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 01:15 pm
@ShacharHarshuv,
With computer speakers, you can experiment a bit with what works for you best. With a laptop that has built in speakers, it's impossible and as such the stereo image is vague or not so good.

Yes, separating the speakers equidistant and at same height and distance from your ears...should improve the stereo image.

Making sure there's a clean, uncorroded, firm connection from the speaker cable to the speakers will help a lot.

You still haven't clarified the other questions I asked you to determine if if there's still some sort of a problem.

Also, on that subject, the recording themselves can be to blame. The way something is recorded may be with poor stereo separation between the channels. This is why I suggest for you try different musical material and compare it to your home stereo.

I keep my detached speakers about 2 ft from me and about 2 ft apart, angling them toward my ears. That should help make the stereo image snap in.
Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:11 pm
@Ragman,
... especially this can be a problem if the musical material is recorded in monaural.
0 Replies